Baker vs. Verlander tonight (double-header) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Baker vs. Verlander tonight (double-header)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baker vs. Verlander tonight (double-header)

Postby carter » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:57 am

look for the Twins to pounce all over Detroit in the 2nd game .. Verlander is being rushed ala Bondo... but Scott Baker is studly and ready like freddy

carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:58 am

Eh, whatever.
I'm not sure how our young stud pitcher Verlander will fare, but our offense is really starting to come around. Baker could have a tough task on his hands. Doubleheaders are always tough, teams seldom put their best lineup out there in both games, and depth hasn't exactly been the Tigers strength this year.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby drpiranha » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:55 pm

I feel fortunate to have both Baker and Verlander on my Fantasy Team. I am in a keeper league that has 40 man rosters and keeps up to 20 players (max time you can keep someone is 3 years).

Right now, Baker will do better than Verlander. Next year they should be even, and 2 years Verlander will be better (barring injury).

Pitchers who have spent at least 1/2 a season in AAA with an ERA around 3.00 are ready to contribute, i.e. Baker, Duke, and Felix Hernandez.
Players called up from AA are to sparodic right now, i.e. Verlander, Ervin Santana.
That is not to say they can't succeed, but the chances are less. People called up from AA usually have a dominant fastball that AA players chase. When they get to AAA, they usually have a better pitch repetoire and are more ML ready.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby carter » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:55 am

KABLAM !

i agree with the pitch reportoire thing, but it might also be because they are just better pitchers and capable of developing it.. most don't get that far.. i personally don't think Verlander will EVER be as good as Baker.. i think pitchers need alot more then "stuff" to do well, which is why the good ones are getting overlooked nowadays

Baker line - 7 ip .. 2 er .. 5h.. 1bb .. 5 k
Verlander mess - 6 ip .. 5 er .. 8h.. 2 bb .. 3k
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:48 pm

To say Verlander will never be as good as Baker is quite a bold statement. It is a very fair opinion, but remember that Verlander has only just recently made AA, and is about a year and a half younger. It's probably too soon for Verlander to have made the majors, but he's gotten a look twice so far.

Also, Verlander has a special desire to play this game. Best example being that he actually fired his agent so that he could sign with the Tigers in time and not have to re-enter the draft. He probably signed for a bit less than his agent was holding out for, but he chose to go another path and not put his pro career on delay.

Baker looks like he'll be a fine pitcher in this league, but don't count out Verlander yet.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theclefe » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:48 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:To say Verlander will never be as good as Baker is quite a bold statement. It is a very fair opinion, but remember that Verlander has only just recently made AA, and is about a year and a half younger. It's probably too soon for Verlander to have made the majors, but he's gotten a look twice so far.

Also, Verlander has a special desire to play this game. Best example being that he actually fired his agent so that he could sign with the Tigers in time and not have to re-enter the draft. He probably signed for a bit less than his agent was holding out for, but he chose to go another path and not put his pro career on delay.

Baker looks like he'll be a fine pitcher in this league, but don't count out Verlander yet.

I don't think we are counting Verlander out, but he has been hyped ad nausem here and elsewhere without really proving he can pitch. He has had an great season to date, but having just enough control to dominate AA ball is not enough to be an Ace MLB pitcher. No one is denying he has the stuff, he must prove he can harness it adequately before you pick him up over a guy like Baker or Duke.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball