Sports Writer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sports Writer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:30 pm

any other opnions on Sports WRiting?

I am really torn between the two majors/careers I would like to follow. On one side...their is business. I am taking a college level business class this year, and I really like it.

Then, I love sports, and i love writing and mixed together it is awesome. I am writing for hte town paper which, while fun is just scraping the surface of what I would like to do. I would like to be more of a sports essayist. Covering the deeper goings on and issues in sports. Steroids for example. The pete rose scandal is another that comes to mind. I would not just like to sit there and type out what happened in a game...but get into the deeper meaing of the sport iteself...

Anyway i could do a full fledged 60 hour internship in either of these fields next summer. This internship consists of going to the actual field (or office) of a company in any giving field and spending 60 hours with them learnign the tools ant trades of the given proffesion. I have no clue which of these career paths to choose. On the one hand, we have business where work will always be easy to find, and the pay will be good...it would be a 9-5 job...that i would be interested in, but not love...but sports writing I think i would lvoe and love coming to work everyday. But then again, sports writing is much harder to "get inside." And become a top writer. Then their is the issue of being well read. I feel like i have not read enough "famous" works of literature to warrant heading down a path that requires mastery of literature. However I have been in honors english for four years, so that has to mean something!

Just some advice on this decision would be very much appreciated.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bceagles04 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:32 pm

anyone on this? I wrote a fairly informative last post...no one has any comments?

oh and right now, I am covering golf matches for the town paper...any tips on reporting games? I feel like i use the same style/format every article...summary-details of game-upcoming schedule-closing....how can I livin it up?

and btw...golf is pretty boring to write about, esp. when you cant actually SEE the match...
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:51 am

wrveres wrote:we actually have a number of different sports writers/sports media types that frequent this board.

Really? Must not be a one from ESPN, given the dribble that most of them spew.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:08 pm

been TWO days since my epistle...no one has any comments/tips?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 pm

jheez...i couldnt buy a response to my Q
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:08 pm

If you want to get "deep" on the writing side, maybe you should go into sports business, and simply freelance on the side. You could always be involved in the business side of some pro major-market team somewhere, and as a "hobby" work on long-form essays that you try to get published. Having a full-time job would provide you with a source of income while you work on becoming a full-time writer.

The only problem is, it's probably a somewhat limited market for those kinds of pieces. You should mosey over to Barnes & Noble and check out the Writers' Market 2005 (don't buy, just look at it, that sucker's like 40 bucks). This might give you an idea of the kinds of places you can get work like that published. SI has a pretty good stranglehold on those kinds of pieces. What you might want to do, if you're serious about sportswriting, is find a few writers whose careers you'd want to emulate, and take a lesson about how they got to where they are. Different people take different paths.

The truth is, it will be hard to break into a place like SI, but it might be even harder to get stuff published from a freelance perspective (not to mention the pay for freelancing is lousy most places). If you become a pro sportswriter with a full-time job somewhere big enough, you will be guaranteed a venue for your writing.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:09 pm

Sorry man, i never got to see this thread. I'd be happy to offer some advice.

Ideally, you need to think about what you want to do, what will give you satisfaction in life. But there are other things to consider.

First, being a sports writing is a highly competetive industry. More and more people are having the same thoughts you are about loving sports and writing, and wanting to combine their two passions. While there may be many jobs available in the area of sports writing/essays, it is difficult to be particularly successful in such a field. Think about it this way... if you pursue a career and sports writing and it doesn't work out, you don't have a lot to fall back on.

Now, I'm going to lay it out right here... I'm biased. I went to school for business and I have my BSBA in Information Systems Management. There were a lot of opportunities for me in my major in a lot of different fields. I'm currently very satisfied, as I am currently a IT consultant to a large, industry leading manufacturing corporation. And no, I didn't go to some fancy college either.

So here's my argument... a business education not only provides many opportunities and the possiblity for job satisfaction, it can also be very lucrative and is perfect for the ambitously-minded person. If you feel like you want to work hard and move up the ranks in a corporation or even just work for a small business, well, I don't need tell you what to consider.

But here's the beauty part. If you take on a career in business, you can still love sports. You can still write about sports. The opportunities are there and you'll be more likely to have the financial stability from a career in business to pursue something like sports writing if that's what compells you.

Finally, if you're passionate about writing about sports, then that's what you should do. Simple as that, you should follow what compells you more than anything. But you wouldn't be asking if you were sure about it.

So, in a nutshell, I would suggest business.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:24 pm

i have done a lot of thinking and i think business would be the way to go as well...just so many options...with a degree in Entrepeneurship, I could use it so many ways...and still write on the side...my dad is a salesman, and he has PLENTY of free time he could use to write!

And good point about still liking sports and being in business...that is very relevant...also, I am not INSANELY passionate about writing...I also like business quite a bit and am taking several business classes this year in HS!

Thanks for the input
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:40 pm

No problem man.

I wish you luck on your professional endeavers.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:25 pm

thanks man!

And even if i do switch to writing...I will have tons of experience in each field before college

This year I am taking an Entrepeneurship class, next year stocks, and economis

And for the writing, I am in Honors English and write an article/week for the town paper for the sports section...

and I am doing an internship next summer in one of these 2 fields...
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk