Sports Writer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sports Writer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:49 pm

bceagles04 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:FYI, you should be OK with that weighted GPA at Ithaca too, although I know applicants have been rising, and it's a little more competitive now. But it would definitely be in your best interest to work hard these last two years, most college admissions officers put more importance on the last two than on the first two.

I applied for Syracuse and got waitlisted for Newhouse as well. My weighted GPA was about 4.0, real was probably closer to like 3.5 or something, and my SATs were 1510. If my grades had been better I think I would have gotten it - something to keep in mind. If you can work hard now, this upcoming year especially, it could open some doors for you. So don't dick around. ;-D

what? you ahve a 4.0 and 1510, and were WATI LISTED? How come? Isnt that good enough for Almost ivy league?

I was waitlisted for the Newhouse school, but I got into Syracuse as just a liberal arts student, which would mean I'd then have to transfer into the school if my grades were kept up. Liek I said, my ACTUAL GPA was much lower than my weighted, and I think that's why. Syracuse wasn't my first choice anyway, but I just wanted to demonstrate how competitive some schools can be.

acsguitar wrote:I was a media comm major..took sports writing..its tough...you should love to write even more then you love sports. thats the key

Really good point.

Enjoy the book. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:52 pm

Phatferd wrote:I'm more interested in broadcasting than journalism though. I enjoy writing, but my spelling is horrible.

This is why God made copy editors. ;-D

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:54 pm

isnt everyones ACTUAL lower than there Wegithed? Cause if you take honrs, the actual is always lower. Does SYR, not count Honors ?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 pm

bceagles04 wrote:isnt everyones ACTUAL lower than there Wegithed? Cause if you take honrs, the actual is always lower. Does SYR, not count Honors ?

You got me. I couldn't figure it out either. But I took exclusively honors and AP courses, so the difference between my weighted and actual was more extreme than someone else who didn't, so maybe that's why. Or for all I know, it may have been an unusually competitive year. And it wasn't like I didn't get into Cuse, I just didn't get into Newhouse right off the bat, which I think is its toughest school anyway.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm

wow, thats weird, I always considered Syracuse a good but not great school. Hmm...maybe they have a REAL exclusive Journalism school?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Oat Soda » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:05 pm

I haven't read this entire thread, so sorry if it's been mentioned, but you can try the stringer route. I did freelance work for a mid-size paper (covering high school sports mostly) for about five years before a combination writing/desk position opened at another paper. Most smaller papers are DESPERATE for good stringers, so call up a sports editor and ask. They're usually not picky. Mine isn't anyway.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:22 pm

bump for DaQ

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaQ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:23 pm

WharfRat wrote:bump for DaQ

Thanks ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:24 pm

this is an old thread...but this fall, I have been writing the Golf articls for my HS...this involves calling the coach each week (cause you cant really go and cover a golf) and getting the details....It has been really fun and great experience! I may do basketball and baseball too!
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby perlick29 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:10 pm

bceagles04 wrote:this is an old thread...but this fall, I have been writing the Golf articls for my HS...this involves calling the coach each week (cause you cant really go and cover a golf) and getting the details....It has been really fun and great experience! I may do basketball and baseball too!

If I ever one day really make it big, I'll always remember how I got my start in HS. Doing play by play for Varsity Women's volleyball. I studied two weeks with the girls and learned all about the rules for what ended up being a boring game. The footage was bad enough that we only aired a couple minutes. But a year later I was doing the 4 major sports. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk