Sports Writer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sports Writer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:49 pm

FYI, you should be OK with that weighted GPA at Ithaca too, although I know applicants have been rising, and it's a little more competitive now. But it would definitely be in your best interest to work hard these last two years, most college admissions officers put more importance on the last two than on the first two.

I applied for Syracuse and got waitlisted for Newhouse as well. My weighted GPA was about 4.0, real was probably closer to like 3.5 or something, and my SATs were 1510. If my grades had been better I think I would have gotten it - something to keep in mind. If you can work hard now, this upcoming year especially, it could open some doors for you. So don't dick around. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:18 pm

bceagles04 wrote:i never really asked you, how have you liked Temple? HAs it been a good 3 years? ok, so your 3.67 was mostly normal level classes?

I like Temple a lot but for different reasons than some. The neighborhood the campus is on isn't great, nor should it be being that it is north Philly. But the important professors have been great and the people here are tremendous. After sophmore year you are forced to live off campus so we move to an apt. in Center city one of the nicest places in Philly where the art museum is and where live 8 was. As for the party scene, it's pretty good, when you get to be 21 the bar scene is excellent.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:46 pm

WharfRat wrote:FYI, you should be OK with that weighted GPA at Ithaca too, although I know applicants have been rising, and it's a little more competitive now. But it would definitely be in your best interest to work hard these last two years, most college admissions officers put more importance on the last two than on the first two.

I applied for Syracuse and got waitlisted for Newhouse as well. My weighted GPA was about 4.0, real was probably closer to like 3.5 or something, and my SATs were 1510. If my grades had been better I think I would have gotten it - something to keep in mind. If you can work hard now, this upcoming year especially, it could open some doors for you. So don't dick around. ;-D

what? you ahve a 4.0 and 1510, and were WATI LISTED? How come? Isnt that good enough for Almost ivy league?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:54 pm

bump it on up,

today i got "The Best American Sports Writing of the 20th Century" Thanks for the recomendation, im gonna go to bed, and start reading!!!!
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Invictus » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:17 am

I've been reading through here, and seeing as your unsure about how to most effieciently build up a resume, how bout writing for the Cafe (not sure if you do already, but the idea struck me.) Judging by the large amount of support you're getting for your career from people on this board, i'd think you'd have plently of qualified editors or at least critics that would help you out. Not to mention you'd be helping to enrich the cafe ;-D ....

*looks back through post and realizes he sounds like a cafe mod/saleman*

not my intention for it to come off like that, but i think it'd be a good thing to put on a resume. "I wrote articles for one of the largest Fantasy baseball site on the internet. Does that count?"

just a thought :-B
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:37 am

good point, i wouldnt mind writing for the cafe at all, however, im not sure if college/resume would look at it as "real" I dont think fantasy sports have a lot of credit for some reason. I may see if I can cover my HS Football games this year. Thanks though, that was a good suggestion, I wonder if it would give any credit, though I am unsure, anyone else weigh in?

edit: Invuctus, I got your PM, so we can discuss that way
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby perlick29 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:57 am

I wrote an article for the cafe, and am working on another. It did make my resume, but it also was a ton of fun sharing my work with others. I'd do it, just for the heck of it if you've got ideas. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:38 pm

bceagles04 wrote:good point, i wouldnt mind writing for the cafe at all, however, im not sure if college/resume would look at it as "real" I dont think fantasy sports have a lot of credit for some reason. I may see if I can cover my HS Football games this year. Thanks though, that was a good suggestion, I wonder if it would give any credit, though I am unsure, anyone else weigh in?

edit: Invuctus, I got your PM, so we can discuss that way

You don't need anyone's permission to cover your high school football games...just do it. Many places will ask for some samples of your writing along with a resume, but most of them don't say that it had to have been published somewhere.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:49 pm

I was a media comm major..took sports writing..its tough...you should love to write even more then you love sports. thats the key
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:11 pm

I was the Sports Editor for my HS paper. I enjoyed it and got access to a lot of teams on campus that most people didn't have. The coolest thing was I could pretty much go anywhere on the football field and even got locker room access. I know, that's part of the job and people like Perlick have been in REAL locker rooms, but when you're in HS and you get this kind of access you get pretty stoked about it.

I'm more interested in broadcasting than journalism though. I enjoy writing, but my spelling is horrible.

I am currently a broadcasting/journalism major, but when I transfer to ASU in the Spring, I think I may switch my major to PR. I want to work in sports and I think PR may be a lot of fun.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk