understanding arbitration and options in MLB - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

understanding arbitration and options in MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

understanding arbitration and options in MLB

Postby jellyroll » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:29 pm

Anybody know or could summarize the rules for arbitration and options in MLB? I keep hearing Delmon Young won't be called up until Sept (when rosters expand) due to arbitration limits/starting.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:52 pm

I believe that when the rosters expand on Sep. 1 and a player is added to the 40-man it doesn't trigger the option process. The simple explanation is that an MLB team owns a player for 6 years. The first 3 are guaranteed and begin with players first season as a pro. The next three are the "option" years and it doesn't necessarily last for three seasons. If a player is brought up on Aug. 31 his first year kicks in but if the team waits until Sep. 1. it doesn't.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:58 pm

ordinarily i dont think september callups start the arbitration clock. if it does for delmon, and i dont know that it does, it would likely be related to some specific clause in his contract.

also, i think its a certain amount of games that triggers the arbitration clock? the brewers didnt seem to concerned about giving prince a couple games in interleague.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:31 pm

GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert