Good trade for me long term?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Good trade for me long term?

Postby Balco » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:56 pm

I get

N.Swisher and R.Weeks

he gets

L.Berkman

my minor league team alreddy is D.Young, Hanley Ramirez, B.Dopirak, Justin Upton.

Major league roster....

C Ivan Rodriguez
1b P.Konerko
2b C.Biggio
3b V.Castilla
OF A.Jones
Of L.Berkman
OF M.Alou
UTIL S.Sosa
UTIL S.Finley
B M.Bellhorn
B O.Vizquel
B C.Monroe

SP S.Ponson
SP. A.Pettitte
SP Od.Perez
RP E.Guardado
RP G.Mota
RP. J.Julio
P K.Benson
P D.Wells
P J.Weaver
B D.Lowe
B C.Pavano
B R.Ortiz

good trade for me ... or bad?
Balco
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:47 pm

I'd say yes. Swisher is solid and a very servicable player with possibly more room to improve, but Weeks is an up and coming superstar at a shallow position. Berkman will still be a top fantasy player for quite a few more years, but I think Weeks' 5 cat contributions will make him quite valuable as well. If you could only just land a better third baseman...
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:58 pm

I don't like this trade for you...Berkman's only 29...he's got plenty more production left in him. You know what you had. Weeks and Swisher...I'm not high on Weeks as much as anyone else, he K's way too much and I think Swisher is a Moneyball product whose career will be like Hatteberg's.

Then again I just traded Rivera for Looper and Conor Jackson :*)
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Balco » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:22 pm

I admit i took a risk but in a couple years with my farm team i will be unstopable.
Balco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:11 pm

I like this trade for you personally. You get Swisher who will be a nice OF, nothing special but should put up very solid numbers. Weeks is obviously why you should do the deal though, he has a chance to be the top 2B on fantasy baseball. Also don't worry about Weeks K's, they will go down with more experience, after all he is just 22 and wasn't even in the minors for more then a 1 1/2 years. It's not like he has a bad eye or holes in his swing, the K's just come from trying to adjust to better pitching and not enough experience.

Also unless the Astros bring in some people, I don't like their offense for the future. Everyone they have seems to be average or on the down swing in the coming years, besides Berkman and Ensberg.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby theclefe » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:56 pm

from a practical standpoint, your old at 2b and outfield so I think this is a good move for you, even though I doubt the value of weeks. This give you some time in the coming years to find a suitable replacement in the outfield.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby carter » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:18 am

ouch. you got snubbed.. Berkman is a top of the line hitter, and you dont even need a 2b yet ... the 1st rule of fantasy baseball should be - NEVER EVER TRADE A TOP 20 STUD FOR PROSPECTS... barring injury, you'll be feeling this sting for years
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:29 am

carter wrote:ouch. you got snubbed.. Berkman is a top of the line hitter, and you dont even need a 2b yet ... the 1st rule of fantasy baseball should be - NEVER EVER TRADE A TOP 20 STUD FOR PROSPECTS... barring injury, you'll be feeling this sting for years

Both really aren't prospects anymore. They are producing major league players. Weeks has been a top 20 player in the month he has been up in a position lacking in production. I don't see it as a great risk and I think the sting would be greater next year when he had to find a second baseman and two outfields to replace his old and retiring guys.

I still think it is a good move, and puts less pressure on him in the offseason.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:00 am

hybrid wrote:I like this trade for you personally. You get Swisher who will be a nice OF, nothing special but should put up very solid numbers. Weeks is obviously why you should do the deal though, he has a chance to be the top 2B on fantasy baseball. Also don't worry about Weeks K's, they will go down with more experience, after all he is just 22 and wasn't even in the minors for more then a 1 1/2 years. It's not like he has a bad eye or holes in his swing, the K's just come from trying to adjust to better pitching and not enough experience.

Also unless the Astros bring in some people, I don't like their offense for the future. Everyone they have seems to be average or on the down swing in the coming years, besides Berkman and Ensberg.

Completely agree on this one. ;-D Berkman is solid, but nothing spectacular, but IMO Weeks is, and will continue to be for quite a long time. Swisher won't set the world on fire he's more than servicable in the OF.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Minor League & College Baseball