Interesting SI find on Sox-Yanks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Boston Red Sox

Interesting SI find on Sox-Yanks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting SI find on Sox-Yanks

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:39 am

From this week's Sports Illustrated:

Would you rather play for the Red Sox or for the Yankees?

Red Sox - 47%
Yankees - 40%
Neither - 8%
Don’t know - 5%

Based on a survey of 450 MLB players

Fast facts: Among players with 10 or more years experience, 54% chose the Yankees, just 30% picked the Sox.... Starting pitchers went for Boston 55% to 36%.... After taking three of four last weekend (page 54), the Yanks are 1,075–896 alltime against the Sox.... Ten active players have been on both clubs: Tony Clark, Roger Clemens, John Flaherty, Tom Gordon, Chris Hammond, John Olerud, Paul Quantrill, Rey Sanchez, Mike Stanton and David Wells

This poll's about what you would assume: Older players want to go to NY to be with the older players and for what they view as the best last chance to win a ring while pitchers don't want anything to do with NY because of it's perceived affect on pitchers.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:32 am

That's very interesting. I'm sure most of the pitchers picked the Sox because of Varitek's ability to manage the pitching game. It seems to be the general consensus around the league that he makes pitchers better. Obviously, the majority of younger players picked the sox too. I wonder how much of that has to do with the clubhouse atmosphere.

Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:10 am

Big Papi's Pimps wrote:I wonder how much of that has to do with the clubhouse atmosphere.

I'd want to play for the Sox because I don't like the Yankees grooming rules. And look at all the shaggy-haired guys and guys with facial hair. They wouldn't want to conform to the bosses rule. One of the main reasons I was rooting for the Sox last year to beat the Yanks was because their team looked like they came to the park on a pirate ship. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
Big Papi's Pimps wrote:I wonder how much of that has to do with the clubhouse atmosphere.

I'd want to play for the Sox because I don't like the Yankees grooming rules. And look at all the shaggy-haired guys and guys with facial hair. They wouldn't want to conform to the bosses rule. One of the main reasons I was rooting for the Sox last year to beat the Yanks was because their team looked like they came to the park on a pirate ship. ;-D

Damon said he'd cut his hair and shave to play for the Yankees :-?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Interesting SI find on Sox-Yanks

Postby lesgrant » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:02 am

nsulham wrote:From this week's Sports Illustrated:

Red Sox - 47%
Yankees - 40%
Neither - 8%
Don’t know - 5%

Fast facts: Among players with 10 or more years experience, 54% chose the Yankees, just 30% picked the Sox.... Starting pitchers went for Boston 55% to 36%.... After taking three of four last weekend (page 54), the Yanks are 1,075–896 alltime against the Sox.... Ten active players have been on both clubs: Tony Clark, Roger Clemens, John Flaherty, Tom Gordon, Chris Hammond, John Olerud, Paul Quantrill, Rey Sanchez, Mike Stanton and David Wells

This poll's about what you would assume: Older players want to go to NY to be with the older players and for what they view as the best last chance to win a ring while pitchers don't want anything to do with NY because of it's perceived affect on pitchers.

That's an odd assumption: older players wanting to be with older players. Where'd you get that?

You missed an obvious reason why older players would want to play for the Yanks: $$$$$$. As well as setting themselves up for endorsement $$$$$ and a life after baseball. That's why Sheffield doesn't want to be traded. For guys who have already won, relocating their families to NYC just to win one more (that is in no way guaranteed) is unlikely.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:09 am

lesgrant wrote:

Red Sox - 47%
Yankees - 40%
Neither - 8%
Don’t know - 5%

That's an odd assumption: older players wanting to be with older players. Where'd you get that?

You missed an obvious reason why older players would want to play for the Yanks: $$$$$$. As well as setting themselves up for endorsement $$$$$ and a life after baseball. That's why Sheffield doesn't want to be traded. For guys who have already won, relocating their families to NYC just to win one more (that is in no way guaranteed) is unlikely.

Yeah I definitely agree.....I am a Yankee fan, but don't you see how much they pay old, worn-out players..a whole lot...

I think that the Red Sox won the poll because I assume since the Yanks win the World Series a lot that everyone hates them......So there is probably more Yankee Haters that voted for BOston than Sox likers...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:22 am

Yeah, but if that was the case and they weren't Sox likers, then why didn't they vote neither.

Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:29 am

lesgrant wrote:

Red Sox - 47%
Yankees - 40%
Neither - 8%
Don’t know - 5%

Just curious but what endorsements does Sheffield have? I'm not saying that's not a reason because it likely is. I just figured older players would want to go there because the NY management tends to value older players and is viewed as treating them pretty well. Example: Torre and crew could most likely be considered an "older-player friendly" staff so older players would want that kind of manager, etc.

LooseCannon wrote:I think that the Red Sox won the poll because I assume since the Yanks win the World Series a lot that everyone hates them......So there is probably more Yankee Haters that voted for BOston than Sox likers...

That may indeed be true if this were a poll on fans but it's a poll on other MLB players. I highly doubt other MLB players are as biased about the rivalry as fans are.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:59 am

Well, let's also keep in mind the poll was simply asking Yankees, Red Sox, or Neither. So there were probably guys who just picked one of the two. It doesn't necessarily mean these guys would rather play for the Sox or the Yankees than anywhere else. If they listed ALL the clubs on a poll, then we'd get an idea of who players REALLY wanted to play for.

I bet a big part of the desire to play for either team is legacy as well. When you take a high chance of winning, and add in two of the most historic franchises in the game with rabid, dedicated core fanbases, then you've got a chance at becoming an instant legend. Look at Schilling, and tell me he wasn't motivated by the chance to be an all-time, eternal LEGEND in New England. Same with the Yankee thing - imagine adding your name to the pantheon of Yankees who have won. And by these standards, the Cubs and Cards would probably be desirable places to go too.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Boston Red Sox