90%
Tim Wallach
No votes
OTHER (please submit your write-in)
No votes

Total votes : 20

All-80's - NL 3B

Postby ironman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:33 pm

These NL positions are pretty silly since they seem to have one guy that is head and shoulders above the rest. Third Base seems to be no exception. I'll let you figure out which guy it is here. ;-)

Bobby Bonilla - One half of the Killer B's in Pittsburgh, Bonilla started out his career at the hot corner. Bonilla was a two-time All-Star in the 80s and won the Silver Slugger in 1988.

Ron CeyStarting the decade with the Dodgers before doing a 4-year stint with the Cubs, Ron Cey saw the postseason for both teams. In 1981,Cey was named World Series MVP as the Dodgers beat the Yankees in 6. In 1984, Cey helped the Cubs to a Division title and a pennant appearance against the Padres.

Bob Horner - In the first half of the decade, Atlanta's Bob Horner was one of the biggest sluggers in the National League, finishing in the top ten in homers 5 times. Horner also made the postseason with the Braves in 1982 when they met the Cards in the NLCS.

Howard Johnson - In the latter half of the 1980's, HoJo wasn't just a hotel chain, it was the Mets 3B. Johnson was a part of the '86 World Champion team and in 89 he led the league in runs and made an All-Star appearance.

Bill Madlock - Playing for the Pirates and Dodgers, Madlock led the league twice in AVG and made two All-Star appearances (81,83) and one NLCS appearance (85).

Terry Pendleton - Before he won an MVP in the 90s with the Braves, Terry was in St. Louis manning the third with his hot glove. Pendleton snagged two Gold Gloves in the 80s and helped St. Louis to two World Series appearances.

Mike Schmidt - Where should we start? In the decade, Schmidt garnered 6 Gold Gloves, 8 All-Star appearances, 3 NL MVP awards, 1 WS MVP, 6 Silver Sluggers, and led the league in homers 5 times. Oh yeah, he's also in that Cooperstown place.

Tim Wallach Playing the entire decade in Montreal, Wallach is sometimes forgotten. Winner of two Gold Gloves, Wallach made the All-Star team 4 times and led the league in doubles twice. He also helped the Expos reach the NLCS in 1981.
Last edited by ironman on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:48 pm

this is definitely not even close..... schmidt all the way.... even though i was a huge bob horner fan when i was growing up(as i still remember his 4 home run game),,,this is a no contest...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:49 am

eftda wrote:another vote for Mike Schmidt :-)

Sheep!
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby prodpaul » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:28 am

Schmidt no question.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:25 am

Looks like a shutout... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:29 pm

Schmidt without a doubt ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:45 pm

Whoops. I'm tired. I voted for HoJo not because I'm a biased fool (well kind of :*) ) but because I didn't even see Schmidt.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball History