Could the Yankees go for Freel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Could the Yankees go for Freel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:37 am

I didn't know that Freel even played CF. Thought he was a utility IF. Is he good in the OF?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:36 am

The Yankees can't get Freel. The Reds want young pitchers (they asked for Eric Bedard when the Orioles inquired about Adam Dunn), and the Yankees have no one to trade. I think they are between a rock and a hard place this year. X-I
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mamorris » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 am

If the Yankees were prepared to take on Ken Griffey Jr's contract in full, I'm sure they could get something done. In fact, I'm sure they'd just give Freel as a 'thank you' for getting out from that deal. Just think, with $12 million extra to play with in the offseason, they could get a pitcher one-and-a-half times as good as Eric Milton.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:17 am

acsguitar wrote:
KaiserSoze wrote:They love freel? Thats surprising.. didn't he get a DUI not too long ago?

Not sure but don't they sit him 3 times a week in favor of someone crappier?

Aah yes, that was the inspiration for the "I Hate Rich Aurilia Fan Club" once upon a time.. ;-7
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sheffield81 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:52 pm

The shame is that cashman and steinbrenner probably never crossed him. All they've thought about from the reds was griffey. go to a yankees game and try to find cashman there and like tell him. Plus, he would be such a good utility man.
sheffield81
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:59 pm

rlee wrote:The Yankees can't get Freel. The Reds want young pitchers (they asked for Eric Bedard when the Orioles inquired about Adam Dunn), and the Yankees have no one to trade. I think they are between a rock and a hard place this year. X-I

They asked for Bedard because it was Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn is a superstar-type player. Freel is a good player, but it would not take anything close to a Bedard to get him. The Reds outfield is loaded and they need to move someone. I don't think anyone is going to take Griffey's ridiculous contract and Dunn will command alot of value. Kearns, Freel and Pena are the others. I don't think they are going to deal Pena but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying it's going to take crap to get Freel, but he is not even on the same planet as Dunn, so it's not going to take someone like Bedard to land him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby rlee » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:37 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
rlee wrote:The Yankees can't get Freel. The Reds want young pitchers (they asked for Eric Bedard when the Orioles inquired about Adam Dunn), and the Yankees have no one to trade. I think they are between a rock and a hard place this year. X-I

They asked for Bedard because it was Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn is a superstar-type player. Freel is a good player, but it would not take anything close to a Bedard to get him. The Reds outfield is loaded and they need to move someone. I don't think anyone is going to take Griffey's ridiculous contract and Dunn will command alot of value. Kearns, Freel and Pena are the others. I don't think they are going to deal Pena but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying it's going to take crap to get Freel, but he is not even on the same planet as Dunn, so it's not going to take someone like Bedard to land him.

BronxBombers, Freel is not part of the Reds OF mix right now. While he has played some OF this year, he is their primary 2B and can get some time at 3B.
My point on Dunn/Bedard was simply that the Reds want young pitching, as they got from SD yesterday for Randa. The Yankees simply don't have the attractive minor league pitchers IMO.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to New York Yankees