advice on spot starts this week - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

advice on spot starts this week

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

advice on spot starts this week

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:13 am

what are you thoughts on these spot starts this week:

THURSDAY

Batista -AZ- (3-3, 2.87) vs. Wilson -KC- (2-0, 4.41)

SATURDAY

Moss -SF- (6-4, 4.42) vs. Affeldt -KC- (3-3, 4.31)

SUNDAY

Jennings -COL- (4-5, 5.38) vs. Knotts -DET- (2-4, 4.73)
Tollberg -SD- (0-1, 4.50) vs. Buehrle -CHW- (2-9, 4.60)

batista looks like a solid pick over wilson. i dont know too much about affeldt but moss has looked pretty bad lately. jennings has been fairly solid lately. buehrle hasnt won since april. i think he is due.

thanks in advance for your opinions.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twinsfan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:32 pm

I maintain a fairly successful policy of picking up those starting against the Tigers. I myself will be going with Jennings this week. Batista may look good, but the Dbacks are notorious for not giving run support at times, so you just never know with them.
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:00 pm

The only one of those that I can really recommend would be Batista, because he has pitched exceptionally well this year and has been the DBacks most consistent pitcher. Also, KC is in a bit of a funk lately so the chances of getting a win are good.

Jennings also could be a good start against the Tigers, and not at Coors, but he has been so inconsistent this year that it's risky.

I wouldn't touch Moss right now until he figures out how to not walk 6 or 7 guys every game. He started off the year hot, which is why his ERA looks way better than he has pitched lately. Using him right now is plain scary. Also, Tollberg is absolutely terrible and I would not use him under any circumstances. Last night he started and didn't even make it out of the 1st inning. The Padres are also an atrocious offense, so the chances of a win are slim to none.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:50 pm

thanks for the replies. i was actually interested in affeldt as opposed to moss but i hear affeldt may be scratched from his next start. i was also interested in buehrle and may pick him up depending on how he looks tonight.

after some research i have noticed that jennings has actually done slightly better at coors compared to on the road so far this year. pretty strange, but i would expect that to reverse itself as the season progresses.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby jdh » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:52 pm

If Buerhle is available, get him immeadiately. He is a far better option than any of the other spot starts that you listed, and in particular his start against SD is an extremely good start to use him for.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:24 pm

Batista's start got moved back to saturday, much to my dismay.

So I went and got Ryan Franklin (M's) agains MON tomorrow.

Affeldt will miss his start.

Moss has 'dead-arm'

Go w/ Franky Goes to Hollywood.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KDOGG » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:10 pm

i would pitch jennings against the tigers they are horrible. Heck i would pitch chan ho park against the tigers!
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:08 pm

last night reminded me why i dumped buehlre in the first place - 8 earned in 4.3 innings. i think he will still be a solid pitcher after the break but since i have pedro, schilling, morris, oswalt, vazquez, and willis i dont think i am going to pick him for anything other than a spot start. too bad for me almost all of my pitchers are injured or are nursing injuries.

what do you guys think of jeremy gonzalez of tampa bay vs. ryan dempster. althought the devil rays have lost quite a few in a row gonzalez is a lot better than dempster. dempster has just been getting shelled lately (era of 12 in june). gonz. might give up a few runs but i think the chances for a win good.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:10 pm

Well, if you are prepared for an ERA/WHIP hit for a possible win it might be worth it. Keep in mind that the Reds offense is extremely dangerous, and he's likely to give up at least 5 runs.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr.DooM » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:14 pm

I picked up Jason Davis vs SD for today. I also picked up Lawrence vs ChiSox on Sun. See if those are available.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers