Odd News From Yahoo (Reuters) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Odd News From Yahoo (Reuters)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Odd News From Yahoo (Reuters)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:36 am

Story #1

LONDON (Reuters) - The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

Members of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) argue that telling pupils they have failed can put them off learning for life.

A spokesman for the group said it wanted to avoid labeling children. "We recognize that children do not necessarily achieve success first time," he said.

"But I recognize that we can't just strike a word from the dictionary," he said.

The PAT said it would debate the proposal at a conference next week.

Story #2

KAMPALA (Reuters) - A Ugandan member of parliament has pledged to reward girls for their chastity by paying their university fees if they are virgins when they leave school, a local newspaper said Wednesday.

Bbaale County MP Sulaiman Madada said any girl in his district who wanted to take part in the scheme aimed at promoting girls' education would be given a gynecological examination by health workers to check they were virgins.

"The criterion is that a student must be a virgin and from Kayunga district," he told the state-owned New Vision.

The MP did not extend his offer to young men.

He urged pupils to manage their lives responsibly, and called on parents to explain the threats from HIV/ AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

"Our children should be told the risks they face if involved in early and unprotected sex," Madada said.

Uganda was once seen as the epicenter of the global HIV epidemic, but a government education campaign has pushed down infection rates to around six percent from as high as 30 percent in some areas in the early 1990s.

Kayunga in central Uganda is home about 300,000 people, and researchers say it has one of the country's worst AIDS rates, with more than 80 percent of families losing at least one member to the disease.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:57 am

As to story #1, that's a sure fire way to set kids up to fail when they become adults. They need to face reality, not have it hidden from them. Very dumb idea. :-t

As to story #2, that's interesting. If disease is that rampant (sorry I don't know much about Uganda), then that idea could actually be productive. Not to mention more people getting a higher education. Definitely interesting. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:04 am

"Deferred success." I think we just figured out the Devil Rays' master plan.

That's a hell of an incentive to offer for chastity, but it's pretty lame it won't be offered to the young men. I guess they don't care if the fellas get a little freak-a-deak on...
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:08 pm

WharfRat wrote:"Deferred success." I think we just figured out the Devil Rays' master plan.

lol - I think that's the term used by management that got Huff and Lou to blow up the same week. :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:33 pm

Story #1 is a dumb idea but #2 is a great idea. AIDS is running rampant over in Africa and they need to find ways to stop it.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:35 pm

reznorsboy wrote:Story #1 is a dumb idea but #2 is a great idea. AIDS is running rampant over in Africa and they need to find ways to stop it.

I'm not so sure that it's as bad as we think it is. I read an interview of an African economist the other day who said that the projected numbers have turned out to be quite a bit higher than the actual numbers.

I'm not saying it's not a problem. Just pointing that out.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:21 pm

#1 is another classic story of overprotecting parents sheltering children, which always backfires. #2 might have something to it though.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby This is the year » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:39 pm

#1 is just an example of the PC BS that everyone's throwing around these days :-°

I'm convinced #2 is a terrible idea. I took a Women's Health class last semester (Yes, it was me and about 150 girls in the classroom), and we read quite a few articles about both the AIDS epidemic in Africa and women in Middle Eastern countries who have their virginity "reconstructed" via operation to make them more appealing to potential husbands. To make a long story short, there is no physiologically observable way to determine whether a woman is a virgin -- everything "down there" is different from person to person. Not only would this measure not help the AIDS epidemic, but it would encourage these surgeries to cover up the supposed results of sexual intercourse, since it's probably cheaper to have surgery than to pay for 4 years of university. Better the government spent that money on education and contraceptives.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:49 pm

Great stories, both of them. :-b ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Return to General Talk