HUGE Red Sox- Twins- possibly Marlins Trade Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HUGE Red Sox- Twins- possibly Marlins Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:12 pm

I'm in Chicago so I don't get to see too many BoSox games anymore, but when I do Mueller is always making great plays at 3rd. Theo might keep him just for his D...
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:43 pm

From yahoos notes:
Jul 21 The South Florida Sun-Sentinel and The Minneapolis Star-Tribune are both reporting a three-way deal among the Minnesota Twins, Florida Marlins and Boston Red Sox was scuttled on July 20. In the deal, the Twins would have gotten Red Sox 3B Bill Mueller and prospects for sending SP Joe Mays to the Marlins and RP J.C. Romero to the Red Sox. Boston would have picked up SP A.J. Burnett and 3B Mike Lowell from the Marlins, and Florida would have gotten SP Bronson Arroyo from Boston. Twins officials denied that such a deal had been in the works.

The word scuttled according to dictionary.com means:
1. A small opening or hatch with a movable lid in the deck or hull of a ship or in the roof, wall, or floor of a building.
2. The lid or hatch of such an opening.

tr.v. scut·tled, scut·tling, scut·tles

1. Nautical.
1. To cut or open a hole or holes in (a ship's hull).
2. To sink (a ship) by this means.
2. Informal. To scrap; discard: “a program [the] President... sought to scuttle” (Christian Science Monitor).

I'm going to guess in this case it involves scrapping as in no trade
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Re: HUGE Red Sox- Twins- possibly Marlins Trade Rumors

Postby RC » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Big Papi's Pimps wrote:
Twins double up trade talks
By Howard Bryant
Recent Columns by Howard Bryant
Thursday, July 21, 2005 - Updated: 03:13 AM EST

Responding to a request by the Minnesota Twins to expand a potential trade, the Red Sox [stats, schedule] are in discussions to acquire starting pitcher Joe Mays and reliever J.C. Romero for third baseman Bill Mueller [stats, news] and first baseman Kevin Millar [stats, news], league sources said yesterday.

The move makes a degree of sense for both teams. The Red Sox need pitching, both in the starting rotation and the bullpen. The Twins are in a pennant race, but can't hit. They're tied with the Yankees for the wild card spot, but rank just 12th in the league in runs scored and doubles, 11th in total bases, slugging, left on base and RBI, and 10th in hits and home runs. In fact, they have just two players in the top 10 in any major offensive category. Millar and Mueller could help.

According to sources, the Twins aren't as willing to part with Mays as they are Kyle Lohse. Once one of the Twins' pitching stars, the 29-year-old Mays seems to have reached a plateau in Minnesota. He is 5-4 with a 4.03 ERA on the year and has given up 16 homers and 117 hits in 105 innings. Opponents are batting .285 against him. Most curious about Mays is his low strikeout-per-nine-innings average of 3.34. He is also expensive, earning $7.25 million this season.

At this point it's all just rumors. But they are saying a possible trade scenario would be:

Florida trades Lowell ($8mm, $8mm in 2006 and $8mm in 2007) and Burnett ($3.65mm)

Minnesota trades Mays ($7.25mm, plus $500K buyout) and Romero ($1.25mm, $2.20mm in 2006, plus $250K buyout)

Boston trades Arroyo ($1.85mm, arb eligible), Mueller ($2.1mm), Embree ($3mm) and 3 prospects

Florida receives Arroyo, Mays and Harvey Garcia

Minnesota receives Mueller, Embree, Brandon Moss and Jose Vaquedano

Boston receives Lowell, Burnett, Romero and $5mm in cash from Florida

If the Bosox need pitching help, does Burnett and Romero really equal a major upgrade over Arroyo and Embree? Enough to deal Mueller away in the process? Even if they do get Lowell, he's no major improvement over Millar or Mueller anyway. Remember, he's no post-season dynamo.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:27 pm

might have been interesting but it looks like it's not going to happen, at this point at least
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: HUGE Red Sox- Twins- possibly Marlins Trade Rumors

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:30 pm

RC wrote:If the Bosox need pitching help, does Burnett and Romero really equal a major upgrade over Arroyo and Embree? Enough to deal Mueller away in the process? Even if they do get Lowell, he's no major improvement over Millar or Mueller anyway. Remember, he's no post-season dynamo.

i do like billy, but i'd be an upgrade over millar... and i haven't played baseball for 15 years. i think his batting average with runners in scoring position is about -0.836.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:19 pm

Interesting. I cant wait to see how this turns out.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers