HUGE Red Sox- Twins- possibly Marlins Trade Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HUGE Red Sox- Twins- possibly Marlins Trade Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:36 am

No way the Sox could afford to lose Millar B-) Why don't we throw in Bellhorn and call it a deal???
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rich101682 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:41 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
rich101682 wrote:The Sox could also use Lowell as a DH or off the bench and give the 3B job to Youkillis. Isn't he ready for it yet?

Actually, I like that idea. Stick Lowell into a DH/PH situation to figure himself out while Youk gets some deserved time in the starter slot. Then again, as it goes with big contracts I doubt the Sox would relegate Lowell to the bench after paying so much money for him. He'd probably start against better judgment.

YAY!! SOMEONE LIKED MY IDEA!!!

At this point, Lowell's gotta know that the Sox don't really want him and that they would only be taking him to get Burnett, right? Doesn't have anything to do with anything else, but I'm just sayin.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Surfs up » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:41 am

Bill Mueller is a FA this year anyway. Chances are slim the resign him. Lowell could be very productive in Boston. He could turn things around. You know that change of scenery thing people always talk about. Losing Arroyo to get Burnett isn't that big a deal even though he is a FA. They play to win THIS year and take care of next year next year. Romero is an outstanding young pitcher that given a chance to close could be awesome. I'm not a Red Sox fan but I think this will be a good trade for them.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby gabenterprises » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:46 am

You know what makes me like the deal? The reminder that Youkilis is ready. IMO, he really is, and having Lowell at 1B to replace Millar seems like something they might try. Or have Ortiz there and DH him. I think I'll miss Mueller because he's such a good presence. But, in reality, as many have said, Lowell might work and at the least be negligible. And with Youkilis in there, it might really make the trade good for the Sox.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:17 am

rich101682 wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:
rich101682 wrote:The Sox could also use Lowell as a DH or off the bench and give the 3B job to Youkillis. Isn't he ready for it yet?

Actually, I like that idea. Stick Lowell into a DH/PH situation to figure himself out while Youk gets some deserved time in the starter slot. Then again, as it goes with big contracts I doubt the Sox would relegate Lowell to the bench after paying so much money for him. He'd probably start against better judgment.

YAY!! SOMEONE LIKED MY IDEA!!!

At this point, Lowell's gotta know that the Sox don't really want him and that they would only be taking him to get Burnett, right? Doesn't have anything to do with anything else, but I'm just sayin.

Do you really want Ortiz playing 1B every day? :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby gabenterprises » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:19 am

:-o
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:36 am

Just yesterday on MLB.com radio they were talking about how the Marlins F.O. was refusing all calls from the Red Sox... ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:01 pm

blankman wrote:Do you really want Ortiz playing 1B every day? :-o

Very doubtful that would happen. If this deal goies down (which I'll believe it when I see it) and the Sox end up with Lowell, I'd imagine the likely scenario would be Youk takes over at 3B with Lowell shifting to first, possibly in a lefty-righty platoon with Olerud. Then again it could just as easily be Lowell playing 3B and Youk shifting to first, which he's played somewhat before.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm also not sure about how I'd feel if they traded Mueller. While you have Manny and Ortiz and Millar, the clowns of the clubhouse, Mueller brings the tenacity and intangibles that offset that. The best compliment I can give him is he's a real baseball player. Nothing flashy but he's just the real deal. Let's not forget he won the batting crown a mere two years ago, however flukey some might say that was.

His knees aren't the greatest anymore and as a result of that, he can't really move over to 2B which would have helped immensely with Bellhorn down.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:11 pm

Cool. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers