Babysitting Agency - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Babysitting Agency

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Babysitting Agency

Postby Spiegs1106 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:25 pm

There is a huge demand for babysitters in my town and surrounding area and I feel that there are so many people who are looking for jobs.

What I want to do is start an agency that would provide a hotline or place you can call when you need a babysitter. I would obtain a list of babysitters and then have people call in. As the consultant that set them up, I would obtain a part of their pay.

The family would pay the agency the amount specified and the agency will pay the babysitter a portion. I think this could work and make me a load of money while sitting on my. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

This is what I need help with:

What do I charge? Do I make it different for number of kids?

Of the hourly pay that the babysitter gets, hoe much goes back to the agency?

how can I advirtise?

If I can think of any other questions, I will post. I am just a kid in high school that needs money other then his job. Thanx, Patrick
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:30 pm

Heh, I thought this was gonna be for aquiring an agency for the Cafe with all the stuff going on. :*)
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 am

You're in high school? In that case, I wouldn't suggest going into this line of work. First of all, if you can't answer the questions you asked (do I charge more for multiple kids? Ummm.....YES!), you shouldn't try to do this, but the main reason is that you are on the hook if a kid gets hurt, or heaven forbid, dies while one of your sitters is there. Too much legal stuff for a high school student to try to handle. I'd look elsewhere for a real job.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:12 am

Madison wrote:You're in high school? In that case, I wouldn't suggest going into this line of work. First of all, if you can't answer the questions you asked (do I charge more for multiple kids? Ummm.....YES!), you shouldn't try to do this, but the main reason is that you are on the hook if a kid gets hurt, or heaven forbid, dies while one of your sitters is there. Too much legal stuff for a high school student to try to handle. I'd look elsewhere for a real job.

I pretty much agree. It's too much to put on the plate of a young person. A lot of people aren't even looking for a babysitter. They are looking for a full-time person to watch their kids every day, at least during the week. There are background checks, reference checks, etc. Are you able to do all of that??

While I commend you for looking for something extra, that's a bit much for a HS student, IMHO.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:15 am

yeah I agree. I already have a job over at a local health club where I work 30 hours a week. It's great but I want a few extra bucks.

I just love business, I want to start something and put some money in some mutual funds. My uncle works for morgan stanbley and he said if I can give him $300 a month he could help me out.
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:29 am

i think it works better as a directory rather than an agency. that might help you skirt some liability. you arent providing baby sitting services, you are merely providing a medium for people to connect to baby sitters. you charge the babysitters a fee to be listed and you charge the parents a fee to be given a name/phone number. let the parents/sitters determine the rates. babysitters apply different rates to different families (charge more for that kid from hell) and under different circumstances (late notice, less than ideal hours). no good babysitter is going to like being told what they can charge. provide some kind of feedback form so you could rate the babysitters. also dont limit yourself to just baby sitters. include lawn mowing, snow removal, and any other odd job you could think of. its not going to make you money sitting on your butt though. well i guess you would be sitting on your butt, but you are going to be sitting on your butt answering phones and you are going to need to hire someone to do that when you cant. you also need to do advertising--fliers, church bulletins, that kind of stuff. and it still wouldnt be a bad idea to get the advice of legal to counsel as to exactly what you are and are not liable for and to approve a legal disclaimer on your advertisements informing people that you are a directory and are not liable for certain things. that is going to cost some up front money. one potential problem is that once a baby sitter hooks up with a client you probably arent going to get any more money from them. they will just contact eachother directly. another problem is that if you are a good babysitter you dont need this service. good sitters can get by on word of mouth so that leaves you primarily with new people and those at the bottom of the barrel. you might also be facing some free competition. my neighborhood has a directory that gets printed every year. at the back is a free listing of those who are willing babysit, mow lawns, etc.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:54 am

Thats hot! ;-D Babysitters mmm
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero