Winn to Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winn to Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:24 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:The Seattle Times is reporting that the Winn deal to the Yankees may include Pavano coming to Seattle. The deal was apparently shelved when Pavano went on the DL, but he's supposed to be back and start a game the day before the deadline.

I'm not sure Pavano's worth the money he's getting, but maybe he's a guy that just won't succeed in NY and will be better somewhere else. Any thoughts on that one, Yankee fans?

Maybe the Seattle Times should stop smoking crack before they write their articles... :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:27 pm

Pavano? 8-o

Wow. I'm very, very surprised. I'd think there'd have to be someone else from Seattle because Pavano isn't just a bad contract to move; he's still a good player.

Not a chance of that now since they desperately need him to pitch for them.

I find that all very hard to believe.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Here's the link -

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ari25.html

It's down towards the bottom where they mention Pavano. I think it's just speculation based on the fact that the M's were pretty hard after him in the offseason and he ended up picking NY over Seattle, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless... It would make some sense if the Yanks decide to make a different move for pitching and see Pavano as a guy that just won't thrive in the pressure cooker that is NYC, but what do I know?

Maybe the Yankees want Sandfrog, too...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:18 pm

The article only says that Seattle wishes they had Pavano. They make no justification for claiming Pavano could go other than that Seattle wanted him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:33 pm

blankman wrote:The article only says that Seattle wishes they had Pavano. They make no justification for claiming Pavano could go other than that Seattle wanted him.

No justification other than that he's a guy they are (or were) very interested in and the Mariners had scouts watching him the last time he pitched. There are a lot of rumors that bounce around that there's really no justification for, but that's just how things work at this time in the year. I personally would rather get a prospect for Winn than Pavano, so I hope it's just pure speculation.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:43 pm

I can see Pavano and his bad conract unloaded...I can't see it being done unless there was some plan to replace him in the Yanks management's mind. Someone has to pitch and he is certainly better than K. Brown or Al Leiter. That said, Clueless Cashman probably has plans to trade Pavano, pay all the salary and take Winn and then go get some other pitching loser to complete his joke of a GM career like say....Tom Glavine or Eric Milton.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers