Winn to Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winn to Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bd3521 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:03 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:my bad. Must've hit submit one two many times ;-D Eh well, at least I'll get my point across.

did you get mine?
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:25 pm

not really, but o well
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby donny23 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:59 pm

stumpak wrote:You are still missing my point. Let me put it simply:

Cano is an unproven guy with the whole of 2 months of an MLB track record. Sure he may continue to hit .307 or maybe even get a little better. He may follow the path of Pujols etc. However, he also may tank a la Morneua, Reyes, Nix or any other number of gusy who have had blazing hit streaks to start their career and then fizzled. I don't know, you don't know, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together would have to admit that there is both an upside and a downside with Cano. No ratioanl person could assert that there is no risk involved with Cano and that 250 MLB ABs prove that he will be a long-term .300 hitter. In fact, others have outlined these elsewhere in this tread, including his relative inability to draw a walk.

Conversely, you have the prospect of the Yankees trading for a proven hitter with #2 credentials. Whether this is Winn or someone else doesn't matter. Anyone can go to crap at any time, but I think any reasonable person would admit that if a guy has 5000 MLB Abs with a .290 average (or even Winn's stats which are not quite this stellar) that proven MLB performer has FAR LESS DOWNSIDE RISK THAN CANO. Any reasoanble MLB manager will percieve this, and would bat Cano near or at the bottom of the order and bat the more proven hitter second.

This is the only point I am making and I would challenge you to tell me why this is wrong.

No YOU are missing the point. Every single Yankees fan here has said the same thing about Cano. There is a reason. We watch this kid every day, and it's not about the stats he is putting up. It's about his poise at the plate, his sweet swing and his amazing way of getting big hits. And it's not only us. Even when he was struggling in the beginning when he was called up, the Yankees coaches were comparing him to Rod Carew. Now, he's being compared to Rod Carew by guys like Joe Morgan and other announcers. The Yankees coaching staff and organization is absolutely in love with him. Cashman has labled him untradeable. He's come into the 2 spot and really been one of our best hitters for the laste few months. Torre is loyal to guys who have been playing for him, especially when it works. Don't you think if they thought a veteran in the 2 hole was the better way to go that Bernie would be there? Hell, now that Giambi is on a tear, don't you think they'd just move it to be: Jeter, Arod, Sheff, Matsui, Giambi or something like that? Their lineup is stacked. If they haven't moved him down to get one of the hottest hitters in baseball above the #6 spot in the lineup, they certainly aren't moving him out of that spot for Randy Winn.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:07 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
he has two SEPERATE hit streaks of 11+ games this season

Its great to know that nobody knows why Cano's obp is low.
Let me ponder this one...
HE HITS BEHIND JETER AND BEFORE SOME RANDOM BUM NAMED SHEFFIELD, Arod, or Matsui. He gets FASTBALLS and pitches to SWING at people (for OBVIOUS reasons).

Which is exactly why his average is so high! He gets great pitches to hit and gets base hits. Whoopdedo. There are lots of hitters in the major leagues who can hit fastballs that get lots of the plate and get singles/doubles. Cano, in reality, is an average hitter who benefits from a perfect situation.

Have you watched him play much? You are so wrong about that. Sure he benefits, but he's just a really good hitter and has been known to be that throughout his minor league career. Very rarely have I seen a rookie come up and be able to spread the ball to all fields so well. Many Yankees fans here might be bias, but plenty of are level headed. Most of us saw Shane Spencer as a fluke when he came up. This kid Cano is no fluke. Watch him cosnsitently and you'll see. I think he has hits in 35 or his last 37 games or something like that and has more hits during that stretch than Damon. Please watch this kid play some before writing him off as a fluke. If you comment with only seeing him play a few times and checking box scores, you're just not going to get it.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:12 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote:
DK wrote:A .307 average sounds good until you hear it comes with a .328 on-base percentage.

Granted, Cano has more power and is probably a better hitter... But his plate discipline is just awful, especially for a #2 hitter.

hey buddy speaking of awful on base percentages how about that reyes baby....get real and worry about your own team, what place are you boys in?

Pretty sure that this is a thread in Winn and Cano..... :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pedantic » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:07 am

The season wouldn't be complete without another overrated Yankees prospect. Cano looks more like a .270-.275, 15 homer guy than the next Jeter to me. Why do I need to watch him play? The numbers speak for themselves.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:33 am

Pedantic wrote:The season wouldn't be complete without another overrated Yankees prospect. Cano looks more like a .270-.275, 15 homer guy than the next Jeter to me. Why do I need to watch him play? The numbers speak for themselves.

Haha :-b

Thats a good one. Numbers speak for themselves :-b They say he hits .307 with 21 doubles in less than 70 games not .270. Too funny.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby matmat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:50 am

blankman wrote:Haha :-b

Thats a good one. Numbers speak for themselves :-b They say he hits .307 with 21 doubles in less than 70 games not .270. Too funny.

I think pedantic did have a point. If Torre decides to move Cano out of the 2 spot, (where he is protected by murderer's row) his average and production will fall. (at for a little while, he might figure things out in the long run).
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:14 pm

matmat wrote:
blankman wrote:Haha :-b

I think pedantic did have a point. If Torre decides to move Cano out of the 2 spot, (where he is protected by murderer's row) his average and production will fall. (at for a little while, he might figure things out in the long run).

He made no mention of any of what you just said.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:22 pm

The Seattle Times is reporting that the Winn deal to the Yankees may include Pavano coming to Seattle. The deal was apparently shelved when Pavano went on the DL, but he's supposed to be back and start a game the day before the deadline.

I'm not sure Pavano's worth the money he's getting, but maybe he's a guy that just won't succeed in NY and will be better somewhere else. Any thoughts on that one, Yankee fans?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers