Chipper or Garret - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper or Garret

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DamnDodgers » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:37 pm

Anderson is so underrated that he becomes a bit overrated. I agree with the others that getting Giambi makes this a good trade.
DamnDodgers
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:45 pm

Chipper is one of the best baseball players in the league. His off-year last year just made people forget about that. If you're not really familiar with Chipper, check out his stats. He's AWESOME, FAR GREATER than anything Garret Anderson can become. Chipper is a superstar, Garret is a soid producer. There's a big difference.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:02 pm

Both Garrett and Chipper are in the top 15 players in the league. Lets leave it at that.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:11 pm

Hell NO Garret isn't top 15 material. Garrett was underrated that now he's become overrated. GARRET ANDERSON IS SHIT COMPARED TO THE TOP 15.

Soriano
Bonds
ARod
Pujols
Delgado
Giambi
Sosa
Helton
Vlad
Beltran
Sheffield
Manny
Maggs
Luis Gonzo
Thome
Berkman
Ichiro
Chipper Jones
Brian Giles
Shawn Green

Okay I just rattled off 21 names off the top of my head and those guys are all better than Garret Anderson. Garret Anderson is just the second coming of Bernie Williams. They're both productive but by NO MEANS IN HELL are they excellent or near greatness. They're good, not stars.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:11 pm

You seem to think that being a star is all about numbers. It ain't. Game after game after game, he has come through in the clutch. He was a big reason for Anaheims run last year. Being a star isn't how many hr's, or rbi's you get, its when you get them. Many people may disagree with me, but thats what I feel a "star" is. Fantasy-wise he may not be top-15, but I would love to build a team around him. Aside from that, he's a great role-model(thats not criteria for top-15 btw).
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:35 am

[quote=]You seem to think that being a star is all about numbers. It ain't. Game after game after game, he has come through in the clutch. He was a big reason for Anaheims run last year. Being a star isn't how many hr's, or rbi's you get, its when you get them. Many people may disagree with me, but thats what I feel a "star" is. Fantasy-wise he may not be top-15, but I would love to build a team around him. Aside from that, he's a great role-model(thats not criteria for top-15 btw).[/quote]

Clutch? We could start a whole thread on this alone. Basically is a fan and media myth. No proof it exists over prolonged periods. It exists in small time periods for everyone basically. Just looking at Andersons career year numbers last year.

average was 306
clutch average 295

clutch by this defintion is a players batting average in the late innings of close games, defined as the 7th inning or later with the batting team ahead by one run, tied or with the tying run on base, at bat or on deck.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby mrecktid » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:49 am

Thanks for the responses guys, but I think that if you'll do the math (using my point system and calculating by past season's stats) that Chipper does seem to come out on top, but the reason I took the trade was not only because of Giambi, but because Garret has been on a great roll (2 homers tonight!) and Chipper's wrist scares, that and his numbers are off this year.
mrecktid

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:50 am

The Jury wrote:Hell NO Garret isn't top 15 material. Garrett was underrated that now he's become overrated. GARRET ANDERSON IS SHIT COMPARED TO THE TOP 15.

Soriano
Bonds
ARod
Pujols
Delgado
Giambi
Sosa
Helton
Vlad
Beltran
Sheffield
Manny
Maggs
Luis Gonzo
Thome
Berkman
Ichiro
Chipper Jones
Brian Giles
Shawn Green

Okay I just rattled off 21 names off the top of my head and those guys are all better than Garret Anderson. Garret Anderson is just the second coming of Bernie Williams. They're both productive but by NO MEANS IN HELL are they excellent or near greatness. They're good, not stars.

I dont know as if i'd go as far as to put S.Green ahead of Anderson. The guy has about 1month during a season in which he gets his numbers. Not really a big help for his team. I just got Anderson a couple weeks ago. I'm loving every minute of it. 6HR last week. Got another solid week this week with 2HR tonight. Some may think 30-35HR isnt what you should have for a top 15 guy or top 20. But when he drives in 120 and has a BA over .300. I'll gladly take him. Plus.. when's the last time Anderson missed a game due to injury? I believe i saw he played in like 159 games last year. Maybe just me.. but i'm taking Anderson this year over Chipper and i had the opp for either or and chose Anderson. AND I'm a Braves Fan. Figure that out.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Longshot » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:37 am

Anderson>Chipper. End of discussion.

:-D
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:57 am

Longshot wrote:Anderson>Chipper. End of discussion.

:-D

Wow, nice evidence, and well thought out.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers