What happened to Manny? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What happened to Manny?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It's amazing how a guy as 'dumb' as described in this thread has managed to drive in 85 runs, score 60, smack 25 homers, and bat .280...

And I'm no Sox fan. B-)

I dont think they were questioning his ability.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:49 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:It's amazing how a guy as 'dumb' as described in this thread has managed to drive in 85 runs, score 60, smack 25 homers, and bat .280...

And I'm no Sox fan. B-)

I dont think they were questioning his ability.

nuh uh. i am a sox fan and manny is still well... manny. i introduced my girlfriend to baseball this season... she's still learning the players, but she knows manny as, "that crazy one."

not taking anything away from his ability or even to say he's a bad guy (the reports i read he's actually sweet, in his way... heard he once told a ballboy he had a birthday present for him in his glove compartment... he went to see what it was... $50,000). but there's also a reason every time i see manny go for a fly ball, i'm screaming at the tv, "two hands, manny!!! two hands!!!"
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:32 pm

well, the guy has rocks for brains when it comes to finances, pr, living day to day.

But the older I get, the more convinced I am of multiple intelligence theory.

Some guys are just athletically smart.

And personally, I think good hitters, well hitters who are good for a prolonged period of time clearly can process information well.

I don't think I could remember all of these pitchers tendencies, then balance those tendencies against game situations. I think it would be pretty hard.

I personally hold a high level of respect for good hitters and quarterbacks/wide receivers in football. a lot goes into learning playbooks and scouting reports. but that's just me.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby tracey518 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:10 pm

From Rotoworld:

Manny Ramirez - OF - Red Sox

Manny Ramirez is listed as day-to-day with hamstring tightness after being removed early from today's game.
Just the same old thing. There's a good chance Ramirez will be in tomorrow's starting lineup. If the Red Sox would prefer he DH, they could use David Ortiz at first and Kevin Millar in left field. Jul. 20 - 5:41 pm et
tracey518
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:08 pm

great gretzky wrote:well, the guy has rocks for brains when it comes to finances, pr, living day to day.

And personally, I think good hitters, well hitters who are good for a prolonged period of time clearly can process information well.

I don't think I could remember all of these pitchers tendencies, then balance those tendencies against game situations. I think it would be pretty hard.

I personally hold a high level of respect for good hitters and quarterbacks/wide receivers in football. a lot goes into learning playbooks and scouting reports. but that's just me.

I'm not sold that Manny buys into the whole scouting thing. His coordination and ability are insanely good ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:46 pm

The Jury wrote:
great gretzky wrote:well, the guy has rocks for brains when it comes to finances, pr, living day to day.

I'm not sold that Manny buys into the whole scouting thing. His coordination and ability are insanely good ;-D

He's not the smartest guy, but doesn't he seem like the kind of guy that would be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with? He reminds me of alot of my middle school friends from way back in the day. :-b
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:50 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
The Jury wrote:

He's not the smartest guy, but doesn't he seem like the kind of guy that would be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with? He reminds me of alot of my middle school friends from way back in the day. :-b

Goooood call. That's exactly who he is: That fun, frickin awesome dude who was real stupid and maybe got held back a year in school, but ended up being the coolest guy around because he was kind've nutty and ballsy and all the guys really wanted to be that person when they were 12. And then as time went on, you started to realize that guy was still stuck as a 15-year-old, and then you went away to college, and that guy was still kinda cool but mostly a loser by that point, and hanging out with other losers who never made it out of town.

Except Manny is a HoFer. Besides that, it's the same. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Kavorka » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:55 pm

I think the Beast is misunderstood. His use of the English language is very poor eventhough he went to High School in Washington Heights NY. I had the chance to meet him last year and tried to hold a conversation with him but I got the impression he knew little to no English.

With that said, Manny can flat out hit.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers