Jesse Crain and those alike him - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jesse Crain and those alike him

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jesse Crain and those alike him

Postby echizen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:12 am

I remember reading an article about certain closers that just get a lot of W's. Crain was on that list and he makes me happy.

He pitched like 44innings and he got his 9th win tonight. That's more than some of my SP's. Not many K's, but low ERA.

Is there a name for RP's who just get a lot of W's?

I think last year Scot Shields was like him. This year, Politte is kind of like him too. Anyone else this year?

Owners who have ppl like him are lucky...hehe
echizen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:37 am

They're called Vultures, because they come in and swoop up someone else's win. For example, the starter goes 7 innings, gives up 2 earned runs, leaves the game tied. In comes the Vulture who pitches a scoreless inning, the team scores, he "vultures" the win.

It's nice when you get them but it's not something you can rely on year-to-year. Last year, Juan Rincon had 11 wins. This year he has 4 and it appears that Jesse Crain is the staff vulture.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:53 am

I used him in my one Roto league for about 2 months. Then I saw Bedard was a FA and Farnsworth (also a FA) had become a closer.

I decided to dump Crain (and Politte) because I could get the same type of stats and get more K's and SV's from it as well. Sorry MR guys! :-/
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:54 am

vulture is a good word. ;-D

there is generally one on every team

This year it is Chris Hammond for my Padres
actually Hammond, Linebrink and Seanz have "Vultured" a combined 13 wins this year.

Shields and Donnely each have six wins so far this year for the Angels.

Giovanni Carrara has 6 wins for LA ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:09 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:They're called Vultures, because they come in and swoop up someone else's win. For example, the starter goes 7 innings, gives up 2 earned runs, leaves the game tied. In comes the Vulture who pitches a scoreless inning, the team scores, he "vultures" the win.

It's nice when you get them but it's not something you can rely on year-to-year. Last year, Juan Rincon had 11 wins. This year he has 4 and it appears that Jesse Crain is the staff vulture.

actually, within the twins clubhouse last year, rincon picked up the nickname, "The Vulture."
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:15 am

Ayala for the Nats has 7 wins I beleive in around 56 innings.

Ayala and Cordero have been money all year.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:37 pm

oukurt said

Ayala and Cordero have been money all year.

I know. Since the 1st-place team in my league has both of them, I'm hoping they fade in the second half.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:07 pm

Ayala hasn't really been money. Frankly, his WHIP and Ks suck for a MR guy. He has gotten a lot of wins through luck, same with Crain.

Sure there respective teams have been in a lot of close games, but there is no way that you should expect an MR to accrue wins at double-digit/162 game rate over the long-run. I will buy that there are MRs who are in good "vulture" siutations in that they are go-to guys on teams that play a lot of close games, but anyone who gets more than 6-8 wins in this situation is the beneficiary of pure luck and happenstance that will eventually end.

It is the same thing as an SP who wins 22 or 23 games. Sure you have to be really good and play on a good team, but in the end you need a strogn dose of luck as well.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mamorris » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:39 pm

stumpak wrote:Ayala hasn't really been money. Frankly, his WHIP and Ks suck for a MR guy. He has gotten a lot of wins through luck, same with Crain.

Sure there respective teams have been in a lot of close games, but there is no way that you should expect an MR to accrue wins at double-digit/162 game rate over the long-run. I will buy that there are MRs who are in good "vulture" siutations in that they are go-to guys on teams that play a lot of close games, but anyone who gets more than 6-8 wins in this situation is the beneficiary of pure luck and happenstance that will eventually end.

It is the same thing as an SP who wins 22 or 23 games. Sure you have to be really good and play on a good team, but in the end you need a strogn dose of luck as well.

Well put. As I was reading the question in the first post of this thread the first thing that came to mind was "fluke". If you try to chase these guys who get a few wins in a row, you're just as likely to get stuck with them for two months with getting you a win.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby oukurt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm

I am not saying Ayala is great. Cordero yes.
"money" has many different definitions. I am pretty sure if you had Ayala on your fantasy team that you wouldn't mind calling him money. Double digits wins for a MR guy in a season is "money".
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers