So I'm watching ESPN last night - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

So I'm watching ESPN last night

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

So I'm watching ESPN last night

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:39 pm

And I think Peter Gammons was giving trade info around the majors. Anyway, he stated that the Rays are the team that doesn't trade.

What's up with that? Is the Rays front office so scared of screwing up that they aren't willing to trade unless they KNOW they are fleecing the other team?

I've read where the price for Huff and Baez is so high, and the Rays management won't return calls, that the Rays are unlikely to do anything.

I don't get it. If they can get a good prospect (even one) for a player who won't be much help in 2007 and beyond because they'll be too expensive, why not make the trade?

I admit the Kazmir trade was nice. But if the Rays aren't going to keep these guys, then why let them walk for nothing. If the prospect doesn't pan out, you've lost nothing.

So while I would love to get two sure-fire studs if Baez and/or Huff aren't going to be around in a year or two, I'd rather have at least one good prospect than nothing at all, especially if it is a good pitching prospect.

That said, $4M for Baez next year isn't too bad, so I'd rather keep him as it is nice to have a semi-reliable closer, even for a team not going to the playoffs. But come next year, if the Rays are out of it, I'd rather Baez be traded then watch him walk away for nothing.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:08 pm

gammons is so full of :-t :-t :-t

but i really see no need to trade baez now unless we are blown away,,,,,, such as marte from the braves,,,, come on braves u know u need a closer,,, give us marte... ;-D ;-D ;-D ....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:22 pm

I know he's a Boston homer, but Gammons has connections - that I don't doubt.

And, honestly, when do the Rays ever trade? And it isn't like he's the only one to report the difficulties associated with the Rays front office. Maybe I can see why.

Anyway, I agree that for Baez, the Rays need to get blown away as $4M for 2006 isn't bad.

And I harbor no hopes of Marte from the Braves. Reitsma has been OK, and Kolb has pitched well of late. They need corner OF much more than bullpen, IMHO.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:45 pm

latest rumor i am hearing is baez and lugo to the red sox for hanley ramirez and youkilis and a mid level pitcher.....

very interesting here though... baez would definitely help the sox pen and lugo would be a great fill in at 2b for the sox as well.... getting hanley would allow cantu to move to 3rd, and should mean upton would be in the majors once the trade is made.......

but a future infield of hanley at 2b, upton at ss, and cantu at 3b would be extremely solid and very athletic...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:59 pm

Solid and athletic, yes.

But unless I'm missing something, where's the power?

Personally, I'm not hung up on power at the corners - as generally exist. But I do think you need at least three 30HR guys.

With an OF of Crawford, DY and Baldelli, only DY really qualifies. Throw in Huff/Bankston, but where's the 3rd guy - again unless I'm missing something on one of BJ, Cantu and Ramirez.

BTW, I like that trade for Baez and Lugo. One of the better rumors I've read so far.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:36 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Solid and athletic, yes.

But unless I'm missing something, where's the power?

Personally, I'm not hung up on power at the corners - as generally exist. But I do think you need at least three 30HR guys.

With an OF of Crawford, DY and Baldelli, only DY really qualifies. Throw in Huff/Bankston, but where's the 3rd guy - again unless I'm missing something on one of BJ, Cantu and Ramirez.

BTW, I like that trade for Baez and Lugo. One of the better rumors I've read so far.

i dont exactly agree that u have to have 3 30 homerun guys to be competitive..... but i do think we will be close to having that with

bankston-- i see him as a 25 homer type guy,,,, maybe even higher than that in 4 or 5 years
upton-- he should also be in the 20-25 homer range....
delmon-- he will definitely be the stud with 40+ homers
crawford-- well he is going to be awfully close to 20 this year,,, give his body a few more years to grow and he should be near 30 homers as well
rocco-- before the last 2 terrible injuries,,, i had him pegged as a future 30 homerun guy.... i dont know what kind of effect these 2 injuries will have on his working out,,,,, but he had the ability and size to one day be a good home run hitter.....
dukes-- i could easily see him with 25+ homeruns in 3 or 4 years .......

that is 6 right there that imo should easily be hitting more than 20 homeruns in a few years for tampa..... and if the other 2 positions happened to be filled by cantu and ramirez,,,, you can count on a few more homers from them as well especially cantu..... that should give us a total of nearing 200 which is not too shabby at all.....
raiders_umpire

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:29 pm

I agree you don't NEED three 30 HR guys to be competitive. But it helps to have them to have a good offense.

And while I hope you're right on some of these guys, I am not as optimistic about certain guys you mentioned. E.g., I just can't see Crawford ever hitting more than about 20. Same for Rocco, who I see as a 15-20 HR guy.

Anyway, I'd rather have guys with more proven power. While it sometimes develops (Bagwell), sometimes it doesn't (Burroughs).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Tampa Bay Rays