Out of curiosity... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Out of curiosity...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Out of curiosity...

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:49 pm

Just out of sheer curiosity, i was thinking after reading in the classifieds that most leagues seek "cafe vets" - When exactly does one "become" a "Cafe vet" --- IMO i think it occurs when you've been around for two fantasy seasons and show nominal fantasy knowledge, and/or you reach 1k posts. Any vets want to post their opinions?
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 644
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Somewhere between 3rd and home

Postby bceagles04 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:51 pm

i found out about the Cafe in march of this yar i believe, signed up and as an avid baseball fan i think i have almost 1,600 now, i think i am not a vet, as i havent even been around for a full year, but a good contributing memeber
Image
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3089
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at my computer

Re: Out of curiosity...

Postby Irish » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:54 pm

Invictus wrote:Just out of sheer curiosity, i was thinking after reading in the classifieds that most leagues seek "cafe vets" - When exactly does one "become" a "Cafe vet" --- IMO i think it occurs when you've been around for two fantasy seasons and show nominal fantasy knowledge, and/or you reach 1k posts. Any vets want to post their opinions?


I don't really consider myself a fantasy vet to be honest, despite the 2k posts, probably cause this is only my second fantasy season and although I have been successful I don't feel like I can bring alot of input to the table that alot of other people can't also.

So, maybe I am a cafe vet, but not a fantasy vet if that makes sense.
Image
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2163
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:00 pm

I think what is meant by Cafe Vet in that instance is someone who is highly recognizable around the boards and is respected by all. Someone who posts, and you instantly know that name.

I have been around since May of '04, have nearly 3,000 posts, and have been playing some form of fantasy baseball for about 6 or 7 years. Am I a vet? In my mind, yes, by all means.

However, am I a vet to that person in the classifides? It depends. If he knows my posts, and respects what I write then I probably am. Point being, there is no hard and fast rule to what a vet is, it just happens.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:10 pm

pokerplaya wrote: Someone who posts, and you instantly know that name.

.



that would be my thoughts on a vet as well.....
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby BigMusky » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:48 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote: Someone who posts, and you instantly know that name.

.



that would be my thoughts on a vet as well.....


if you ever take down that silly UNC national title thread I might bestow upon you the honor of vet...but until then you are still a newb :-]
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:58 pm

BigMusky wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote: Someone who posts, and you instantly know that name.

.



that would be my thoughts on a vet as well.....


if you ever take down that silly UNC national title thread I might bestow upon you the honor of vet...but until then you are still a newb :-]


He's a D-Rays fan....he will always be a nOOb
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:10 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
BigMusky wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote: Someone who posts, and you instantly know that name.

.



that would be my thoughts on a vet as well.....


if you ever take down that silly UNC national title thread I might bestow upon you the honor of vet...but until then you are still a newb :-]


He's a D-Rays fan....he will always be a nOOb


Nice paper bag. :-D
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 291)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:49 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I think what is meant by Cafe Vet in that instance is someone who is highly recognizable around the boards and is respected by all. Someone who posts, and you instantly know that name.

That's what I always thought as well. ;-D
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Re: Out of curiosity...

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:30 pm

Invictus wrote:Just out of sheer curiosity, i was thinking after reading in the classifieds that most leagues seek "cafe vets" - When exactly does one "become" a "Cafe vet" --- IMO i think it occurs when you've been around for two fantasy seasons and show nominal fantasy knowledge, and/or you reach 1k posts. Any vets want to post their opinions?


I agree with the others, for the classifieds forum, I would say they are just looking for someone who's known and seen often on the boards.

1K posts really isn't that many though. We've got guys doing that in a month, so kick that number up quite a bit. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact