Gerut - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Gerut

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gerut

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:50 am

Cubs got Jody Gerut yesterday - anyone have any background on why we'd trade away promising dubois for this guy? i know we need a leadoff guy, but gerut is only hitting .275...
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:08 am

Well Gerut has shown the ability to be successful in the majors before. In 2003 he had an .830 OPS and 22HR. He doesn't have great speed but can probably steal 8 or so bases a season. He is relatively old though at 27 years old. I'm just not sold on Dubois, he struck out in almost 1/3 of his PA this year. Sure he's got the power there is no denying that but the guy can't take a walk and K's a ton. He's also absolutely horrible defensively. I don't think it's too significant of a move but overall I like the deal for the Cubs.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:11 am

Mustangs989 wrote:Well Gerut has shown the ability to be successful in the majors before. In 2003 he had an .830 OPS and 22HR. He doesn't have great speed but can probably steal 8 or so bases a season. He is relatively old though at 27 years old. I'm just not sold on Dubois, he struck out in almost 1/3 of his PA this year. Sure he's got the power there is no denying that but the guy can't take a walk and K's a ton. He's also absolutely horrible defensively. I don't think it's too significant of a move but overall I like the deal for the Cubs.

appreciate the enlightenment mustang - im feelin a bit better about the deal now - although the knee injury he's been dealing with for the past season or two worries me a bit still. Again though, im gonna wait and see how he does. Maybe he becomes the next ichiro, singles here, doubles there ;-D
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:21 pm

Gerut's main strength is defensive play. He is also a good lead-off type hitter. He will be able to fill the gap between now and when Felix Pie is ready. As for Dubois I think he is a talented hitter but has no defensive skills and will have more success in the American league as a DH.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cubsrock » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:02 am

I think it was a mistake trading away dubois (btw...is his name pernounced duh-boys or duh-bwah?) he's shown that he could be a quite good power hitter in the future. This season he was averaging a homer in ever 17 at bats, while not outstanding, is quited good. Burnitz is averaging i in 21, ramirez 1 in 15, d lee 1 in 11.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:06 pm

cubsrock wrote:I think it was a mistake trading away dubois (btw...is his name pernounced duh-boys or duh-bwah?) he's shown that he could be a quite good power hitter in the future. This season he was averaging a homer in ever 17 at bats, while not outstanding, is quited good. Burnitz is averaging i in 21, ramirez 1 in 15, d lee 1 in 11.

There is no question that Dubois can hit HR's, but He lacks that other Key quality that is required in the NL which is being able to play at the major league level defensively.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:17 pm

cubsrock wrote:I think it was a mistake trading away dubois (btw...is his name pernounced duh-boys or duh-bwah?) he's shown that he could be a quite good power hitter in the future. This season he was averaging a homer in ever 17 at bats, while not outstanding, is quited good. Burnitz is averaging i in 21, ramirez 1 in 15, d lee 1 in 11.

Yeah but Burnitz can catch a ball. :*)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Return to Chicago Cubs