Stock Market - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stock Market

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stock Market

Postby Spiegs1106 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:26 pm

I was reading the post in this forum about the stock market and became curious. I started doing research and would like to join the market. It seems that a mutual fund would be my best safe bet. I have about 1000 I could potentially put in the market and would highly be interested in doing it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or stradegies or advica a 17 year old kid could use when entering the market? Also how would I do it. Thanx...Patrick
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stock Market

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:I was reading the post in this forum about the stock market and became curious. I started doing research and would like to join the market. It seems that a mutual fund would be my best safe bet. I have about 1000 I could potentially put in the market and would highly be interested in doing it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or stradegies or advica a 17 year old kid could use when entering the market? Also how would I do it. Thanx...Patrick

The first hurdle to overcome is to find a mutual fund company that will allow you to start a no-load account with $1000. Usually minimums are higher, but I'nm not up to speed with a lot lately. Often there will be lower mins if you open an IRA instead of a non-IRA account. Given your age, your parents may have to open one for you. I'm not sure how it works for those below 18. Either way you'll want to do a Roth IRA at this opint, assuming you can.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:47 pm

The best investments you will ever make is to put $500 you get in every mutual savings bank in your area. When you go on vacation, find these banks in the area and put money in them. When they go public, ca-ching!! I'm 13 and my dad taught me this: it pays off quite nicely.
mtryanks12
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:25 pm

The miracle of compound interest is a beautiful thing. Starting on my 21st birthday, I'll be investing 2k/year into an IRA for about 5 or 6 years...and once that interest compounds, baby...

CHA-CHING!

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laurence » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:08 am

mutual funds are the safest, but you want make any money of them

"the greatest risk is not taking one." ;-D
Laurence
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Spiegs1106 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:24 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:The best investments you will ever make is to put $500 you get in every mutual savings bank in your area. When you go on vacation, find these banks in the area and put money in them. When they go public, ca-ching!! I'm 13 and my dad taught me this: it pays off quite nicely.

IM kind of confused by this. Why do you make money when the banks go public?
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Stock Market

Postby AT » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:09 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:I was reading the post in this forum about the stock market and became curious. I started doing research and would like to join the market. It seems that a mutual fund would be my best safe bet. I have about 1000 I could potentially put in the market and would highly be interested in doing it.

The first hurdle to overcome is to find a mutual fund company that will allow you to start a no-load account with $1000. Usually minimums are higher, but I'nm not up to speed with a lot lately. Often there will be lower mins if you open an IRA instead of a non-IRA account. Given your age, your parents may have to open one for you. I'm not sure how it works for those below 18. Either way you'll want to do a Roth IRA at this opint, assuming you can.

That's good advice. If you're curious, do a ROTH IRA instead of a Traditional IRA because with a ROTH you can withdraw contributions (not profits) to the account at any time where in a Traditional IRA you can't touch your contributions OR your profits on the investments until age 59 1/2 without a 10% tax penalty. Starting a no-load account isn't always the best, it depends on what the management fees are compared to the amount they charge you for commission fees. Sometimes they don't balance out. You can learn a lot about this stuff at the NASD website. It might be a little complicated at first but that's what college business classes are for.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk