Ugh... Reggie... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Ugh... Reggie...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ugh... Reggie...

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:58 am

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa stared at the typewritten sheet that trainer Barry Weinberg handed him well after Sunday's game at Busch Stadium had ended and said, "That non-displaced stuff is killing us."

First, it was the non-displaced fracture that catcher Yadier Molina suffered when hit by a pitch in Arizona. He hasn't played for over two weeks. But worse Sunday came the news that left fielder Reggie Sanders had suffered a non-displaced hairline fracture of the fibula in his right leg, the result of a collision with center fielder Jim Edmonds on Friday night.

Dr. George Paletta, head of the Cardinals' medical staff, estimated Sanders would be lost four to six weeks, in effect taking him almost to Sept. 1. Sanders had been among the most consistent and productive of Cardinals this season, batting .281 with 18 homers, 44 runs batted in and 14 stolen bases as he approached the career marks of 300 steals and 300 home runs, something only four players have achieved.

The Cardinals will promote lefthanded-hitting John Rodriguez, a 27-year-old former New York Yankees and Cleveland farmhand from Memphis. Rodriguez had 17 homers for Memphis, including one Sunday, and 47 runs batted in with just 120 at-bats while batting .342. Rodriguez had been acquired a little more than a month ago in a minor league deal with Buffalo (with catcher Javier Cordona going to the Indians' minor league affiliate), where Rodriguez had been hitting only .247 with five homers and 23 RBIs in 178 at-bats.

La Russa said that the lefthanded-hitting Rodriguez, 6 feet and 185 pounds, can play all three outfield positions. A Yankees farmhand until this year, Rodriguez had 101 minor league home runs and hit .270 from 1997 to 2004.

La Russa said there was "a chance" he would play Rodriguez tonight here against the Milwaukee Brewers. Rodriguez had been slugging at a .795 clip at Memphis.

Regarding Sanders, La Russa said: "You've got to roll with the punches. Sometimes you wish they wouldn't take those pictures. Then you'd never know what was wrong."

Paletta said, "I've seen lots of X-rays I wish I hadn't seen."

Sanders stopped by to see Paletta after Saturday's game and told him his ankle was bothering him - Sanders also had suffered a bruised left rib in the accident.

"What he said in hindsight was that his ankle was sore but he was focused more on his ribs and thought the ankle was just a bruise," Paletta said. "I told him if it was still sore (Sunday morning), we'd X- ray it. He's got a small hairline fracture directly above the plate that's in his leg from where he fractured his ankle in 1989.

"In 1989, they put a plate and seven screws in his ankle. The plate is still in there, but he cracked (his fibula) just at the top of the plate, through the uppermost screw hole."

Paletta said there was little upside to Sanders' injury other than that "it's an incomplete fracture, so it doesn't need an operation. It should heal well on its own, but bones generally take four to six weeks to heal."

Sanders had left the clubhouse before the latest diagnosis was revealed.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:55 am

:-/ My only concern at this point is how rusty these guys will be for the stretch run and the playoffs. Hopefully this will get them all rested up (especially Yadi) and it won't take too long to get back in the swing of things. It definitely sucks, but hopefully there will be some good that comes out of it. :-[
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:48 am

Even though he's a bit old, I am intrigued by this Rodriguez fellow. I hope he does well.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:50 am

StlSluggers wrote:Even though he's a bit old, I am intrigued by this Rodriguez fellow. I hope he does well.
The Cards have had great luck with replacements so far this year. Let's hope it keeps up.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:37 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Even though he's a bit old, I am intrigued by this Rodriguez fellow. I hope he does well.

he is intriguing. hasnt done much in a long minor league career but went nuts after getting to memphis. i wonder if he will get playing time or if it will be mostly mabry/taguchi out there. wonder if the cards will try to trade for someone.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:08 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:wonder if the cards will try to trade for someone.

This seems like it would be the perfect opprotunity to make some kind of move to get younger in the OF. As good as Sanders and Walker are, they're not getting any younger, and it seems pretty certain Walker maybe done this year from what I've heard. I'm not sure what will be available at the deadline, but then again, it's not like they need to panic and mustmake a move for this year.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:11 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:wonder if the cards will try to trade for someone.

This seems like it would be the perfect opprotunity to make some kind of move to get younger in the OF. As good as Sanders and Walker are, they're not getting any younger, and it seems pretty certain Walker maybe done this year from what I've heard. I'm not sure what will be available at the deadline, but then again, it's not like they need to panic and mustmake a move for this year.

Exactly. Now would be a good time, but the Cards don't want to look desparate. If they do, then they'll get low-balled by every team they try to talk with.

Jocketty's a crafty guy. I doubt he'll make the wrong move.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:24 pm

I don't think they'll have to worry about getting hosed for two reasons: Jocketty and the fact that they're not desperate. Sanders should be ready to go for the playoffs, and Walker looks like he's found his swing again. I guess I was referring mainly to the off season, but if Walt pulls off another great deal at the deadline, I won't complain. :-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:28 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I don't think they'll have to worry about getting hosed for two reasons: Jocketty and the fact that they're not desperate. Sanders should be ready to go for the playoffs, and Walker looks like he's found his swing again. I guess I was referring mainly to the off season, but if Walt pulls off another great deal at the deadline, I won't complain. :-D

A guy at the game on Friday night told me that he'd like to see us trade for Bay. I tried my hardest not to laugh too hard at him.

Could you imagine the price tag for that trade?

8-o :-° :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals