Thome - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Thome

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thome

Postby The Big O » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:38 am

When is Thome coming back? Anybody hear news? He is not back although eligible since July 16 and now I hear he may need a rehab assignment....is it time to give up on him for this year?
The Big O
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:46 am

If you've held onto him this long, why not wait and see?

The thing w/ Thome is that he's been walking all along even though he's done zilch when the bat leaves his shoulder. The walks (and the relatively high OBP) are a good sign. He still has his batting eye. I suspect the injuries have been bothering him too much so far this year. But I guess it's possible this latest DL stint might help him recover some. I'd say at least wait to see what his minor league rehab assignment looks like before dumping him. If it looks promising, then see what he does when he returns. Maybe give him a week or so to show you something after his return. If he doesn't hit a HR after a week of everyday play after his return, then maybe it's time to drop him.

What's your alternative though, if you drop him? Who would you use instead? If you've got somebody like Shelton and really need to drop somebody/anybody, then I guess Thome is droppable.

FYI, in one league, somebody dropped Thome long ago, and I grabbed him for free w/ my low waiver priority. Held him and spot started him for a short while -- I'm stacked on offense w/ Ortiz as 1B unless he faces a good LHP -- and then dropped him when he hit the DL because he wasn't doing anything and Berkman had just gained 1B eligibility, so I had no need for Thome as backup 1B.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Big O » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:43 am

Thanks for the response.

I have Berkman/Sexson/Utley/Shelton/Piazza all eligible to play 1B. I don't wan't to lose Piazza if Shelton fizzles (he is eligible at C in my league). I doubt he will, though.

The last I heard with Thome was that he may not return until August (CBS Sportsline). That gives me 6-7 weeks of max production from him assuming he hits the ground running.
The Big O
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:27 am

If you need to drop somebody to pickup somebody very useful, you might as well drop Thome although I don't know why you can't just stash him in your DL spot -- that's assuming you have a DL spot of course.

With the bats you have, you might do ok enough at 1B although I imagine you're only gonna want to use Sexson at 1B most of the time like me w/ Ortiz. Probably use Shelton/Berkman as occasional 1B backup when Sexson faces very tough pitching. Utley should just stay at 2B fulltime, and Shelton should normally stay at C while Berkman at OF. Hmmm... you do have a good bat for Util, don't you?

Anyway, if you keep Thome, just make sure you keep good tabs on his progress so you don't end up wasting time waiting for him unless you don't need the roster/DL spot for anything else.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:37 am

Am I misunderstanding this thread? Can Shelton be used as a catcher? He doesn't have that position in my league. If he is supposed to, maybe I should ask our commish about it. I have Piazza and Pierzynski for the position now... both are not doing all that well. It sure would be great if I could use Shelton as my catcher... I do see that he played catcher 6 times last year for Detroit, but he never started as catcher. Maybe that is why he isn't catcher eligible in my league...
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:05 pm

Apparently, Shelton is eligible for C in some leagues. I only play w/ Yahoo, and my 2 leagues on Yahoo do not have him eligible. I could *really* use him at C in my deep keeper league as I've had to go w/out a catcher while waiting for J Lopez to return (or risk dropping a good rookie keeper as my league allows keeping everyone who doesn't become an official real life FA). I did try a little spot starting at C off the waiver wire for a little while w/ guys like Zaun, Fick and Doumit, but none of them get consistent playing time or produce consistently enough to be worth the roster space right now.

If only I didn't have so many hurt guys taking up roster space + DL slots, eg. Nick Johnson, Beckett in addition to Lopez, Drew, Bonds. If it wasn't the kind of keeper league that it is, I'd be more willing to drop a rookie like Dan Johnson or Swisher or even Bonds or Byrnes, whom I grabbed after the trade. For now, I need them to fill in for NJ and Drew in platoon fashion.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:04 pm

He played some catcher in the minors. He doesn't qualify at C in Yahoo leagues. :-P
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Big O » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:58 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I don't have Util or DL spots- just 20 man roster- start 9 batters and 5 pitchers.

Shelton is eligible in CBS Sportsline leagues- they had him listed as a catcher- otherwise, I think he is not eligible in leagues where you need at least 5 starts- apparently, all his catching at the big league level last year was as a replacement.

Going forward, he will not be a catcher. Just a lucky break for me as Piazza is not doing that much.

I dropped Thome to pick up Street- I am 8th in Saves in my league but only 10 saves out of 2nd- need to have a 2nd Closer. Hopefully, Street will start getting Save opps.
The Big O
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby oukurt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:01 am

Jul. 19, 2005 - 9:49 pm et

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel hoped Jim Thome could begin a rehab assignment this weekend.
If Thome's elbow is OK, the Phillies won't ask him to spend much time in the minors. He could return early next week.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates