Griffey gets no respect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Griffey gets no respect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Griffey gets no respect

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:51 pm

How come Griffey goes almost unnoticed? He's very close to his career norms. His .911 ops is close to his career .935 ops. In the last month he has been a stud. Since July (17 days), he has a better ops 1.215, then DLee 1.147. I have him in 4 keepers, and really got him at end of draft, or as a free agent in April. I always believed if he played 140 games, the numbers would be there. No one has said too much about him.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:00 am

I think the biggest surprise right now (ignoring the injury problem) is that he is holding his BA back around his stud days. He will never be the fantasy dominator he was in the 90s due to the lack of steal attempts, but it is always great to see a legend holding his own. I was quite honestly hoping he would retire before this year just so I wouldn't have to think of him in the likes of a stumbling Willie Mays fighting the Mendoza line while trying to extend a career that had passed him by.

IIRC his contract runs through 2008, so hopefully he will be able to keep up his current form for a few more years. I think he goes unnoticed simply because people are expecting the injury bug to hit at some point sooner rather than later.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:10 am

One thing I hate is the "he's bound to get injured" moniker that seems to run wild in the Cafe. Sure, he's had just a horrible four or five seasons plagued with injury, but you can't go assuming he's just going to go down hard. Plan for it, but don't assume it. Griffey was my favorite player when I was a kid; I idolized the guy and his Mariner stuff was the only thing that touched my walls without the Mets NY on it. It's great to see Junior flat out playing like a top tier player again. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby toofunnyy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:16 am

bigh0rt wrote:Sure, he's had just a horrible four or five seasons plagued with injury, but you can't go assuming he's just going to go down hard.

Four or five seasons?

You need to be an agent.

"Sure my client has sucked for 5 years, but don't assume he's going to keep sucking. You people are so short sighted!"
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:19 am

toofunnyy wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Sure, he's had just a horrible four or five seasons plagued with injury, but you can't go assuming he's just going to go down hard.

Four or five seasons?

You need to be an agent.

"Sure my client has sucked for 5 years, but don't assume he's going to keep sucking. You people are so short sighted!"

I don't believe I said sucked anywhere. What I said was plagued by injury, some of which were flukey things, too.

111, 70, 53, 83, are the number of games Griffey has played per season since the beginning of 2001, respectively. At 85 games in 2005, having surpassed each of his last three seasons, are we supposed to believe he's going to go out tomorrow, trip over himself, and be out for the season? Sorry, but I'll take his .288, 19 HR, 60 RBI, 53 Runs, .536 SLG and .894 OPS over the possibility of him being injured when he's shown to be perfectly healthy this year.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Re: Griffey gets no respect

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:11 am

HOOTIE wrote:How come Griffey goes almost unnoticed? He's very close to his career norms. His .911 ops is close to his career .935 ops. In the last month he has been a stud. Since July (17 days), he has a better ops 1.215, then DLee 1.147. I have him in 4 keepers, and really got him at end of draft, or as a free agent in April. I always believed if he played 140 games, the numbers would be there. No one has said too much about him.

I think everybody believed that, quite honestly.
I mean we are talking about a player, who even though he hasn't been able to stay healthy for the better part of 5 years, continued to get drafted in virtually every league I have been in.

I don't think there has ever been much of an arguement over his numbers, just his health.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby RynMan » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:15 am

wrveres wrote:I don't think there has ever been much of an arguement over his numbers, just his health.

There it is.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:16 am

RynMan wrote:
wrveres wrote:I don't think there has ever been much of an arguement over his numbers, just his health.

There it is.

Agreed. If you knew you would get 140+ games from him, he'd have more value and people would be scrambling to get him if they could. When you know there's a very high possibility that he's going to miss significant time, his value falls through the floor. All injury prone players take a hit in value simply because you know there's a good chance they will miss time. Juan Gone and J. D. Drew come to mind as guys that I've dropped down in value on past draft days due to the probable DL time. Nick Johnson is a great example of this. When healthy, he can put up numbers and would certainly be draftable in a reasonable round. Problem is that he hits the DL every year with some sort of injury, so it drops him to late round status or even undraftable.

When even ESPN and Rotoworld talk about the "Annual DL trip you knew was coming" you know your guy is in trouble. Be it Nick Johnson, Juan Gone, Griffey, etc. The whole world knows these guys are fragile, so everyone's a bit hesitant to get on their bandwagon or draft them too high. Just the way of the fantasy baseball world. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers