World series of poker(ESPN wtf?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World series of poker(ESPN wtf?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

World series of poker(ESPN wtf?)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:26 pm

Okay so this is pushing the whole 'leftover' idea......

So i have been seeing commercials lately for 'espn poker night' advertising the 2005 world series of poker. It starts being shown this Tuesday if i am not mistaken and i for one am looking forward to watching it. I know it has already been played and recorded that doesnt surprise me......

HOWEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr.......

Last night i am watching sportscenter and they do a piece showing the winner of the whole thing!!! What the hell is that????

Anyone else see this? Anyone else give a damn?

Just curious

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Where is the Hamster

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:37 pm

Hamster where are you ? ... We have something for you to gobble up!...
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:49 pm

I saw that this morning as well, I really wanted to be surprised, and I flipped the channel as quick as possoble, but I already saw the guy's face. Fortunally I'm forgetting what his name was so hopefully I'll forget completely when it actually comes on.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Where is the Hamster

Postby Half Massed » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:59 pm

SonsofSlam04 wrote:Hamster where are you ? ... We have something for you to gobble up!...

why? :-?

as for the topic, that sucks. i personally don't care about this one specifically :-D , but i understand about surprises being ruined like that. you think sportscenter would have a little more class than that. was the poker a repeat on ESPN? if this isn't the first time they're airing it, then maybe that makes a little more sense...
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:12 pm

I almost posted this several days ago...

I am in total agreement with you INK. I will not be watching the ESPN coverage of the WSOP. Why?

BECUASE I ALREADY KNOW WHO WINS! :-t :-t :-t

I love watching poker, and part of the fun is seeing some random dude win the tournament. Well, every day on ESPNEWS I see Norman Chad saying which pros got knocked out and who's doing well. While it's fine to update people on live sporting events, I would think they would know better than to give away part of the story that they would be telling for the next two months.

If people want to know who wins ahead of time, I'm sure the WSOP has its own site that people can go to. Most people aren't going to do that, and the chances of people finding out who won is going to be remote outside of hearing it on ESPN. But, by ESPN giving away the ending to the show before it begins, it is effectively ruined.

Good job in spelling the end of poker coverage as you know it, ESPN. You've lost one viewer, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...smell the lost dollars! :-B :-B
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:25 pm

I would like to find a link to write to espn and let them know how absoLUTELY absurd i think this is....anyone have alink or an email addy?
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:09 pm

they definitely took the excitement out of the tournament for me as well... there was nothing better then when moneymaker won in 2003... the unknown beating the old vets.... and now we know who won..... doubt i watch much of it this year...... :-t
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:14 pm

Sucks. :-t
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:50 pm

I see no problem with this. Many people who follow poker, like myself, have been abreast on what's going on at the WSOP for weeks now. Also, the hard core poker fans who watch a lot of poker on TV watch it as much for the means as the ends. If ESPN didn't report who won every other media outlet would have...in fact, ESPN reported who won it before the broadcast last year as well...but only on the website.

I'll still watch. Then I'll probably watch it again whenver I see it being replayed.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:49 pm

What is ESPN supposed to do? They hype the WSOP up into being a major sporting event and then they are not supposed to cover it? I'm somehow willing to bet that everyone who has complained about the coverage and vowed not to watch the show will still be there when ESPN starts showing the Main Event.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to General Talk