AJ to Beantown? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AJ to Beantown?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby .38 Special » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:12 am

Buster Douglas wrote:Random sidenote: If Lowell is packaged with Burnett (and most rumors say he will be), barring the Marlins getting a 3b in return, who plays 3rd for them this year? Will it be Miggy?

That would be a dream.....I could bench Huff till he starts playing more consitently
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uucrook3d » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:22 am

im pretty sure it would be miggy. i now ive read it somewhere. i think he has already played there a couple of games for lowell anyways...

edit: per rotoworld
Mike Lowell's name is being thrown around in the rumored trade between the Orioles and Marlins for A.J. Burnett.
The deal has Burnett and Lowell going to Baltimore for a combination of reliever Jorge Julio, right-handed pitching prospect Hayden Penn and possibly outfielder Larry Bigbie and lefty reliever Steve Kline. If the Marlins can unload a slumping Lowell and his $18 million salary over the next two seasons, they'd have more money for free agents and can move Miguel Cabrera over to third, which is where he's most comfortable. Source: Miami Herald
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 am

From the Baltimore Sun today:

Source: Trade for Burnett near
Julio, Penn, Bigbie would go to Marlins for 3 players; deal could come today

By Roch Kubatko
Sun Staff

July 18, 2005
SEATTLE - The Orioles boarded their charter for Minnesota yesterday with the same roster as the one they took to the West Coast, but an industry source said it could change quickly.

According to the source, a trade between the Orioles and Florida Marlins involving Marlins starter A.J. Burnett and Orioles reliever Jorge Julio is almost complete. The source expected an announcement to come today, saying the two sides have made significant progress, but a team official said it is doubtful it would happen that soon.

The trade would send Burnett, third baseman Mike Lowell and perhaps minor league outfielder Eric Reed to the Orioles for Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie and top pitching prospect Hayden Penn.

The team official said talks have run "hot and cold." The Orioles' willingness to take Lowell might have pushed them ahead of the Boston Red Sox, who are offering pitcher Bronson Arroyo and prospects.

Lowell's production has taken a sharp decline, and he's slated to make $18 million over the next two seasons.

According to an Orioles source, there's some debate among team officials over the wisdom of acquiring Lowell and whether he can pull out of a season-long slump. But the Orioles seem open to it if they can reel in Burnett, whose next start is scheduled for tomorrow.

Because Burnett can become a free agent after the season, the Orioles would want to sign him to an extension rather than risk losing him over the winter. But they appear willing to modify the trade package if Burnett's status doesn't change, giving up less to add him to their rotation.

Burnett is 5-6 with a 3.64 ERA. He allowed six runs in five innings of Thursday's start against the Philadelphia Phillies, including three homers in the second inning.

Julio pitched a scoreless inning Friday, stranding two runners, but it came in the seventh. Chris Ray followed him into the game, and manager Lee Mazzilli used the rookie with the score tied in the eighth and ninth Saturday.

Julio has become more expendable with Jason Grimsley activated from the 60-day disabled list. Though Julio hasn't allowed a run in four straight appearances, his ERA is 10.45 over his past 13 games.

Penn is 0-1 with a 6.99 ERA since returning to Double-A Bowie. He allowed five runs in 4 1/3 innings against New Britain on July 10.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:23 am

Padsin05 wrote:I think alvarez went to LBSU
....thanks for the correction...same church wrong pew
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:26 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
YanksHater213 wrote:
HAC Wolves wrote:the shoppach/arroyo/burroughs to fla, burnett and lowell to boston and alvarez to SD is a good deal for boston and fliorida but not for SD however there is a chance that if alvarez pans out it would be good for all

I hope your not thinking like #1 starter in terms of panning out, because Alvarez is nothing special. I think his ceiling is like a 4th or 5th starter, similar to Bronson Arroyo. I was priviledged enough to see him pitch last year when he got a spot start against Baltimore, I was there, he got wrecked. He doesnt really throw that hard, but has a mean, Barry Zito like curveball, which is his out pitch.

I dont really see this as being all good for the Sox though. I mean, yeah, they get Burnett, but what do they do with Mueller now that Lowell, and his fat contract are there? It will be interesting to see what actually happens with this rumor.

Can Lowell play 2nd? I'm not saying I want him too, but thats a possibility.

Edit- N/m, he's never played 2nd. I don't think they'll move Muellar to 2nd full-time. It'd just be too hard for his knees I think.
....mlowell could platoon at 1B and the sox could move kmillar for middle relief help (cqualls ??)..as of 11am monday this deal looks dead though
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers