Good points Hater. Welcome to the Cafe ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:44 pm

YanksHater213 wrote:
nsulham wrote:Otherwise not sure how I feel about it. Arroyo's a given in the deal and they'll probably have to lose either Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester or Alvarez, in addition to maybe Shoppach. It's a lot, especially considering they'll likely have to take on Lowell's contract.

You see, Theo is committed to the farm system, and building from the inside out, so I think that if he has to deal any of those guys it will be Alvarez because his ceiling is probably 4th or 5th starter. I would be so mad if he dealt Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester, or even Delcarmen, because they have all showed so much progress and promise than I am starting to think that they will be a huge part of our future. All 4 of those guys have the stuff to be good major league pitchers, including Delcarmen who is throwing a lot harder after his Tommy John sugery, so I think that all of these guys have what it takes and could be part of the big picture soon. Do I think trading one of those four pitchers along with Arroyo and Shoppach will be worth it? Now, yes, in the long run? No. Alvarez is 24 I believe, and doesnt throw hard, and doesnt have a 100% awesome out pitch, so I wouldnt be as disappointed if he was dealt, but we NEED to keep Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester, AND Delcarmen. Shoppach doesnt matter as much to me either because we have Varitek for quite a few years, and Mirabelli has proved to be a more than servicable backup, so I think that Shoppach doesnt really have a place on this club.

I tend to agree with you, but you have to consider how good these guys will really be. They DO have great stuff, but so does Burnett, who can near 100 mph with his fastball, and we know that Burnett's stuff translates (at least somewhat) into major league success. However Burnett's success isn't enough for me to go for that deal with anyone other than Alvarez, who the Marlins are unlikely to want.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokey » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:54 pm

nsulham wrote:Couple things here: if they can sign AJ to an extension and not have to sell the farm to get him, I'm all for the deal.

Otherwise not sure how I feel about it. Arroyo's a given in the deal and they'll probably have to lose either Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester or Alvarez, in addition to maybe Shoppach. It's a lot, especially considering they'll likely have to take on Lowell's contract.

However if it does go down, I could live with AJ in the roation, especially since they'll need an ace with Schill not up to par yet. As for Lowell I'm guessing he'd take over at 3B with maybe Muller shifting to 2B? (Not sure about this as I know Billy's got bad knees and 2B might be too much for him to handle...maybe a 2B platoon with him and Bellhorn or something?)

If the sox are taking on Lowell's contract, my guess is that they won't be giving up a top prospect as well. If they do they'll be giving too much, as Lowell's contract is one helluvan albatross.

Also, if Lowell is part of the deal it makes the most sense to move him to first, trade Millar, and have Lowell and Olerud platoon at first base, as Lowell has actually been decent versus lefties this year. He could also be a late innings defensive replacement for Mueller at 3rd.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokey » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:00 pm

maybe I spoke to soon about the SD deal being dead, per SOSH: ESPN Radio and Fox Sports Fla. is reporting that the following deal is done:

Sox get:
Mike Lowell
AJ Burnett

Marlins get:
Bronson Arroyo
Sean Burroughs
Kelly Shoppach

Padres get:
Abe Alvarez

Who knows if this is actually true, but the rumor is still alive and kicking.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:08 pm

Good call Poke. I hadn't thought of Lowell shifting to 1B for Millar. Maybe then we could find a taker for Millar and get some relief help in return.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Pokey wrote:maybe I spoke to soon about the SD deal being dead, per SOSH: ESPN Radio and Fox Sports Fla. is reporting that the following deal is done:

Sox get:
Mike Lowell
AJ Burnett

Marlins get:
Bronson Arroyo
Sean Burroughs
Kelly Shoppach

Padres get:
Abe Alvarez

Who knows if this is actually true, but the rumor is still alive and kicking.
....most aspects of this trade make sense..padres need to move sburroughs..abe alvarez is from fontana calif and went to san diego state ..the marlins have to trade AJ and dumping lowell is a bonus for them...makes too much sense to actually happen
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm

If Burnett goes to the Sox, I'm trading him on all of my teams.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Guru » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:23 pm

RynMan wrote:If Burnett goes to the Sox, I'm trading him on all of my teams.

why?

you gotta figure his wins will go up.

do you think his era and whip will go up?
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:26 pm

The Guru wrote:
RynMan wrote:If Burnett goes to the Sox, I'm trading him on all of my teams.

why?

you gotta figure his wins will go up.

do you think his era and whip will go up?

Of course his ERA and WHIP will go up. A much tougher hitting division and he leaves that huge pitcher's park. Its almost guarenteed those numbers would be hurt.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Padsin05 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:43 pm

I think alvarez went to LBSU
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)