AJ to Beantown? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AJ to Beantown?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AJ to Beantown?

Postby yankee_cafe » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:33 am

From Rotoworld ...

According to the New York Daily News, A.J. Burnett is headed to the Red Sox.
General manager Theo Epstein denied the rumor. ''There is no truth at all to any deal we are making with the Marlins,'' Epstein said. Jul. 17 - 10:17 am et
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:58 am

Supposedly the deal is Arroyo+prospects for Burnett, but the Fish also want the Sox to take Lowell and his big contract.

Arroyo's value would increase (lower ERA/whip, a couple less wins) and Burnett's would probably drop a bit (more wins, higher era/whip)
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:18 am

There are going to be rumors abound with Burnett. With so many suitors, I will only believe it when a deal is official, but it certainly looks like he's going somewhere.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:26 pm

I think the O's land him.. They have way more to offer
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:16 pm

The Jays are supposedly offering a package of players including Gustavo Chacin.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Pokey » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:20 pm

acsguitar wrote:I think the O's land him.. They have way more to offer

Unless the O's aren't willing to part with Cabrera, which is what's being reported. Last I heard, the package the O's had put on the table was Julio, Bigbie, Penn. That's nothing the Sox can't match.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YanksHater213 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:21 pm

This is the year wrote:Supposedly the deal is Arroyo+prospects for Burnett, but the Fish also want the Sox to take Lowell and his big contract.

Arroyo's value would increase (lower ERA/whip, a couple less wins) and Burnett's would probably drop a bit (more wins, higher era/whip)

I have also heard things of a 3 way deal including the Padres where the Sox would end up with Burnett and Lowell, the Marlins would end up with Arroyo and Sean Burroughs, and the Padres would end up with Abe Alvarez and a Marlins prospect (I believe). I am not really sure the validity of this because I heard it on a different message board, their source was another message board, and I am not sure where it came from before that.
YanksHater213
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pokey » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:24 pm

YanksHater213 wrote:
This is the year wrote:Supposedly the deal is Arroyo+prospects for Burnett, but the Fish also want the Sox to take Lowell and his big contract.

I have also heard things of a 3 way deal including the Padres where the Sox would end up with Burnett and Lowell, the Marlins would end up with Arroyo and Sean Burroughs, and the Padres would end up with Abe Alvarez and a Marlins prospect (I believe). I am not really sure the validity of this because I heard it on a different message board, their source was another message board, and I am not sure where it came from before that.

According to Gammons, that deal is all but dead.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:20 pm

Couple things here: if they can sign AJ to an extension and not have to sell the farm to get him, I'm all for the deal.

Otherwise not sure how I feel about it. Arroyo's a given in the deal and they'll probably have to lose either Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester or Alvarez, in addition to maybe Shoppach. It's a lot, especially considering they'll likely have to take on Lowell's contract.

However if it does go down, I could live with AJ in the roation, especially since they'll need an ace with Schill not up to par yet. As for Lowell I'm guessing he'd take over at 3B with maybe Muller shifting to 2B? (Not sure about this as I know Billy's got bad knees and 2B might be too much for him to handle...maybe a 2B platoon with him and Bellhorn or something?)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby YanksHater213 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:32 pm

nsulham wrote:Otherwise not sure how I feel about it. Arroyo's a given in the deal and they'll probably have to lose either Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester or Alvarez, in addition to maybe Shoppach. It's a lot, especially considering they'll likely have to take on Lowell's contract.

You see, Theo is committed to the farm system, and building from the inside out, so I think that if he has to deal any of those guys it will be Alvarez because his ceiling is probably 4th or 5th starter. I would be so mad if he dealt Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester, or even Delcarmen, because they have all showed so much progress and promise than I am starting to think that they will be a huge part of our future. All 4 of those guys have the stuff to be good major league pitchers, including Delcarmen who is throwing a lot harder after his Tommy John sugery, so I think that all of these guys have what it takes and could be part of the big picture soon. Do I think trading one of those four pitchers along with Arroyo and Shoppach will be worth it? Now, yes, in the long run? No. Alvarez is 24 I believe, and doesnt throw hard, and doesnt have a 100% awesome out pitch, so I wouldnt be as disappointed if he was dealt, but we NEED to keep Papelbon, Sanchez, Lester, AND Delcarmen. Shoppach doesnt matter as much to me either because we have Varitek for quite a few years, and Mirabelli has proved to be a more than servicable backup, so I think that Shoppach doesnt really have a place on this club.
YanksHater213
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers