What's the Cafe consensus on Mark Prior? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the Cafe consensus on Mark Prior?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the Cafe consensus on Mark Prior?

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:10 am

Is he back to being a top-5 starting pitcher, and can he be relied upon for the rest of the year to put up Prior-like numbers? I haven't been able to watch him pitch, but his numbers since his return look pretty good. What's the deal here?

Basically, are you buying or selling Mark Prior's return to dominance in 2005? I only ask because starting pitching is very slim right now, and I'm looking to move one of my big hitters for a pitcher, and the asking price on Prior is lower than somebody like Pedro or Johan. I'm sure a lot of people are going through this same dillemma.

So, Cubs fans, what's goin on? How's his velocity? How's his control? Any news of him pitching through pain? Is he a good buy?

Thanks for the responses, guys.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:45 am

I defenitely think he'll be a top 5SP from here on out. Health is always a question but not as big as some people make it to be. 2 of his injuries in his career have been fluke like injuries (running into Giles, and the Hawpe line drive). Still an injury risk but not in the Griffey or Drew category.

As for how he's pitching...this season he's had 2 bad outings. 1 against Atlanta and 1 against Houston. All other starts he has allowed 3ER or less. His control hasn't been great lately compared to his standards but he's still locating well enough. That should improve as he gets more outings. His velocity is back to where it should be in the 92-95MPH range. I also haven't heard anything about lingering effects of the injury. I'm a homer but there is nothing holding him back from having top 5 SP numbers the rest of the year
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby so0perspam » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:48 am

Mustangs989 wrote:I defenitely think he'll be a top 5SP from here on out. Health is always a question but not as big as some people make it to be. 2 of his injuries in his career have been fluke like injuries (running into Giles, and the Hawpe line drive). Still an injury risk but not in the Griffey or Drew category.

As for how he's pitching...this season he's had 2 bad outings. 1 against Atlanta and 1 against Houston. All other starts he has allowed 3ER or less. His control hasn't been great lately compared to his standards but he's still locating well enough. That should improve as he gets more outings. His velocity is back to where it should be in the 92-95MPH range. I also haven't heard anything about lingering effects of the injury. I'm a homer but there is nothing holding him back from having top 5 SP numbers the rest of the year

Agreed completely, I'm high on Prior and have always been a fan of him ... great, great stuff and an abundance of potential.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:52 am

so0perspam wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:I defenitely think he'll be a top 5SP from here on out. Health is always a question but not as big as some people make it to be. 2 of his injuries in his career have been fluke like injuries (running into Giles, and the Hawpe line drive). Still an injury risk but not in the Griffey or Drew category.

Agreed completely, I'm high on Prior and have always been a fan of him ... great, great stuff and an abundance of potential.

Thanks for the responses guys. That's exactly what I was looking for!

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:10 am

Prior's velocity has actually gotten better since the freak line drive off his elbow. Before the injury, he was throwing around 92mph and now he's up to around 95 mph.

I've watched most of his starts since his return and his fastball has been outstanding. His curveball is still effective but he'll only use it like 10-12 times a game. His fastball is so good that he only needs the curve to keep hitters honest. It's almost like a changeup for him....When I say his fastball is good, I mean he spots it well and it has a ton of movement tailing away from lefties and in to righties. He can also elevate his fastball to get strikeouts.
What I love about Prior is that his delivery is so smooth and so mechanically sound that he does not get tired late in games. When he is healthy, he is a horse who gets stronger as the game goes on...He really is an intense competitor and seems to "reach back" in tough spots and his stuff gets a little sharper....When he is healthy and on top of his game, he is a top 5 fantasy pitcher because of his ability to pitch deep into games, get wins, and get a ton of Ks....
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedantic » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:42 am

I traded for him with the intention of contending next year. Anything I get this year is merely gravy. If he can remain healthy for the remainder of the year, I'd say he's a definite top five pitcher.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:08 am

prior should definitely be top 5 SP from here on out this year..... he has looked good all year save 2 bad starts and the injury...... i would try to get prior for the stretch run especially if you can get him cheaper than pedro and the gang.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:54 am

I wouldnt want him on my team. Until he shows me that he can stay healthy for at least 20 starts, I'm not interested.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:13 am

RynMan wrote:I wouldnt want him on my team. Until he shows me that he can stay healthy for at least 20 starts, I'm not interested.

Well Prior has had 2 years where he pitched more then 20 starts, so I guess you are interested after all. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ActionHero » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:39 am

Not to mention that his injuries to date have been of the flukey nature (1) baserunning collision last year; (2) linedrive off elbow this year.

Prior is a stud and will be for years

hybrid wrote:Well Prior has had 2 years where he pitched more then 20 starts, so I guess you are interested after all. :-b
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers