Matt Clement: Anyone Worried? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Clement: Anyone Worried?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Clement: Anyone Worried?

Postby 1Bogie » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Seems like he gets shelled every (3) outings. Is anyone benching him on any matchups? I just aquired him in a trade and suggestions on how to play him would help.
1Bogie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giambiformvp » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 pm

Well, I didn't start him today against the Yankees, well, because it's the Yankees and I usually never start anyone against the Yanks.
giambiformvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johntudor » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:54 pm

I was actually just looking at Clement's split stats, and the only real difference is between day and night games - he's been much better in day games this year and over his entire career. I don't think you should bench him based solely on that, though. I'd sit him against the Yankees (see today) and maybe the Rangers, and that's about it unless something changes.
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:59 pm

Clement is what he is. He's not an elite pitcher but he's on a good team that will score runs, so once they Red Sox don't have to face the Yankees for a while, he should be fine. When I drafted him, I took him for the Wins and K's, hoping for an ERA around 4.00 and a whip around 1.30. After today's blow-up, he'll be even worse than that in the ERA and WHIP department, but he has 10 wins already.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:01 pm

Throughout his career, Clement has always walked too many batters for his own good. I stayed away from Clement in all my leagues this year, simply because I don't believe any pitcher with control problems can survive in that division.

His BB/9 is down dramatically this year, but I have a hard time believing that it's going to stay this low. Clement has ALWAYS had control problems. The reason why he got lit up today was because he walked 5 batters in 2+ innings. It wasn't because he was facing the Yankees.

Clement is nothing but a 3rd or 4th starter on most fantasy squads until he can get his walks down.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jbones733 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:06 pm

i beg to differ, hes not an ACE, but you can get away w him as a 3rd starter in H2H , he has had dominant outings, only a few hiccups, & vs yanks, u cant be that mad , he still K'd alot also, & has a great record

i think hell be fine in the 2nd half
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:08 pm

Clement's numbers aren't any different than last season; he just has sick run support (6.99 R/G). Once that falls back down to earth he'll be the same 'ole Matt Clement.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Laean » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:09 pm

i don't play the matchups with him.

i don't know if the same thing will happen again this season, but last year his ERA at allstar break was around 2.90, but finished the season with a 3.50 or so. but barring that from happening again, i'd just use him everyday. regardless of his ERA (a 4.00 shouldn't be too surprising), he'll get the Ws and Ks.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:17 pm

davidmarver wrote:Clement's numbers aren't any different than last season; he just has sick run support (6.99 R/G). Once that falls back down to earth he'll be the same 'ole Matt Clement.

Actually, his BB/9 was down significantly (until today). However, I don't expect that to continue. You're right, he's going to regress to the mean. The fact that he was walking almost 4/game in the NL Central doesn't really bode well for long-term success in the AL East. Today was an example.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:48 pm

In the interest of doing a bit of research on a blah Saturday afternoon, I looked at Clement's starts this season.

Clement vs. "Bad" teams (winning percentage below .500--Tampa Bay, Seattle, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh). These 4 tams have combined for a 143-215 win-loss record (.399), 4.4 R/G, and a .735 OPS.

4 starts, 4-0, 1.24 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 9.3 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, 6.0 K/BB.

Clement vs. "Average" teams (winning percentage near .500--Toronto, Oakland, Oakland, Philadelphia, and Toronto again). These teams, counting Toronto and Oakland twice have combined for a .508 winning percentage, 4.7 R/G, and a .745 OPS.

5 starts, 1-1, 5.17 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 6.3 K/9, 3.7 BB/9, 1.7 K/BB.

Clement vs. "Good" teams (winning percentage of .520 and above--Yankees, Orioles, Orioles, Rangers, Braves, Yankees, Orioles, Cardinals, Rangers, Yankees). These teams have combined for a .552 winning percentage, 5.2 R/G, and a .796 OPS.

10 starts, 5-2, 5.16 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 7.4 K/9, 3.3 BB/9, 2.2 K/BB.

Clement has dominated the bad teams and been less-than-stellar against the good teams. In 19 starts, he's faced the following teams:
Yankees--3 times
Orioles--3 times
Toronto--2 times
Oakland--2 times
Texas--2 times
All others-once each

For the season, he's had a tough schedule, with only 4 starts against the bottom-feeders. It'd be nice to see him get a few more starts against the Tampa Bays and Kansas City Royals of the league.

His next few starts:
@CHW (ack!)
@TB
vsKC
@MIN
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers