Reggie Sanders - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Reggie Sanders

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reggie Sanders

Postby hooligan1 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:48 am

Anybody hear yet what this "undisclosed injury" was that caused Sanders to leave last night's game in the 1st inning? Thanks!
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby screwyinstlouie » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:35 am

listed day-to-day with left rib contusion and sprained right ankle...

I was at the game and saw the play. He and Edmonds collided pretty hard in left-center field, with Sanders making a great catch. Sanders was helped off the field by the trainer through the "wagon gate" in RF at Busch (it would've taken a lot longer to get him to the dugout).

My gut says not to count on him until Monday at the earliest.
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby screwyinstlouie » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:30 am

from today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Sun A.M. 7/17 in two separate articles)...

Sanders..."was not in Saturday's lineup, nor will he be in Sunday's..."

also "...the Cardinals altered course and planned to place starting catcher Yadier Molina on the disabled list while waiting to see if another move will be required for left fielder Reggie Sanders..."
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:18 pm

RUMOR has it reggie has a hairline fracture in his leg and will be out 4-6 weeks. no online sources that i could find. will know if this is true in the morning.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby screwyinstlouie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:39 am

My son heard the same thing on KSDK-TV Channel 5 here in St. Louis earlier tonight (4-6 weeks)
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:46 am

Sanders has hairline fracture
By Rick Hummel
Of the Post-Dispatch
07/17/2005
Cards Sanders
Reggie Sanders slaps hands with Cardinals teammate Albert Pujols in the dugout Sunday at Busch Stadium.
(Chris Lee/P-D)

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa stared at the typewritten sheet that trainer Barry Weinberg handed him well after Sunday's game at Busch Stadium had ended and said, "That non-displaced stuff is killing us."

First, it was the non-displaced fracture that catcher Yadier Molina suffered when hit by a pitch in Arizona. He hasn't played for over two weeks. But worse Sunday came the news that left fielder Reggie Sanders had suffered a non-displaced hairline fracture of the fibula in his right leg, the result of a collision with center fielder Jim Edmonds on Friday night.

Dr. George Paletta, head of the Cardinals' medical staff, estimated Sanders would be lost four to six weeks, in effect taking him almost to Sept. 1. Sanders had been among the most consistent and productive of Cardinals this season, batting .281 with 18 homers, 44 runs batted in and 14 stolen bases as he approached the career marks of 300 steals and 300 home runs, something only four players have achieved.

The Cardinals will promote lefthanded-hitting John Rodriguez, a 27-year-old former New York Yankees and Cleveland farmhand from Memphis. Rodriguez had 17 homers for Memphis, including one Sunday, and 47 runs batted in with just 120 at-bats while batting .342. Rodriguez had been acquired a little more than a month ago in a minor league deal with Buffalo (with catcher Javier Cordona going to the Indians' minor league affiliate), where Rodriguez had been hitting only .247 with five homers and 23 RBIs in 178 at-bats.

La Russa said that the lefthanded-hitting Rodriguez, 6 feet and 185 pounds, can play all three outfield positions. A Yankees farmhand until this year, Rodriguez had 101 minor league home runs and hit .270 from 1997 to 2004.

La Russa said there was "a chance" he would play Rodriguez tonight here against the Milwaukee Brewers. Rodriguez had been slugging at a .795 clip at Memphis.

Regarding Sanders, La Russa said: "You've got to roll with the punches. Sometimes you wish they wouldn't take those pictures. Then you'd never know what was wrong."

Paletta said, "I've seen lots of X-rays I wish I hadn't seen."

Sanders stopped by to see Paletta after Saturday's game and told him his ankle was bothering him - Sanders also had suffered a bruised left rib in the accident.

"What he said in hindsight was that his ankle was sore but he was focused more on his ribs and thought the ankle was just a bruise," Paletta said. "I told him if it was still sore (Sunday morning), we'd X- ray it. He's got a small hairline fracture directly above the plate that's in his leg from where he fractured his ankle in 1989.

"In 1989, they put a plate and seven screws in his ankle. The plate is still in there, but he cracked (his fibula) just at the top of the plate, through the uppermost screw hole."

Paletta said there was little upside to Sanders' injury other than that "it's an incomplete fracture, so it doesn't need an operation. It should heal well on its own, but bones generally take four to six weeks to heal."

Sanders had left the clubhouse before the latest diagnosis was revealed.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Injuries & Player Updates