Hernandez hires Boras... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hernandez hires Boras...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HAC Wolves » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:11 pm

thats what hes worth and deserves not 4/40 but boras is like rosenhaus he can get most anything he wants for a player
Mariners for life

http://img87.echo.cx/img87/1927/paintballsig3xr.jpg

www.mccoypaintball.com
HAC Wolves
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:21 pm

HAC Wolves wrote:thats what hes worth and deserves not 4/40 but boras is like rosenhaus he can get most anything he wants for a player

No he can't. He didn't get even close to his 10 years, $200 million for Beltran.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:14 pm

blankman wrote:$10 million for a catcher at 33 years old in the last year of the contract is just ridiculous.

He's probably not worth $10M anyway but Hernandez is 29.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:44 pm

I'd say he should be happy with that 3 yr 21 million offer. I think that is about what he is worth. But, hey, what do I know. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:04 pm

blankman wrote:$10 million for a catcher at 33 years old in the last year of the contract is just ridiculous.

That looks great compared to Variteks 4 years 40 mil, 10 mil at age 36.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:59 am

interesting ..

I'd hate to lose a starting catcher like Hernandez in the middle of a pennant race, but I wonder if this puts him on the trade market? Towers and Boras are not the best of friends, and no way I see Alderson approving 40 million. Resigning Giles is the bigger priority. Besides the Padres have decent catching depth throughout the organization.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kevin sent out a few "feelers" upon hearing this news. The sooner we get a new backstop in, and working with the staff, the better IMO.
I'd hate to lose Ramon, but what can you do? You do not handcuff the team financially for a catcher, that’s for sure.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:53 am

wrveres wrote:I'd hate to lose a starting catcher like Hernandez in the middle of a pennant race, but I wonder if this puts him on the trade market? Towers and Boras are not the best of friends, and no way I see Alderson approving 40 million.

Same thing I was wondering; when do the Padres call it a lost effort? While Ojeda is terrible offensively, Fick can play catcher (albeit below average defensively) and Nevin can in emergencies. This pennant race we are in is huge due to the promises Towers made previously, but I wonder if our best interest with Hernandez includes trading him.

Resigning Giles is the bigger priority.

Without a doubt.

Besides the Padres have decent catching depth throughout the organization.

Decent low-league catchers. Kottaras is in a few top one-hundred prospect lists and is a good slugger (.294, .376, .454 in Lake Elsinore), but he couldn't be close to the big leagues, at least not yet. Michel Hernandez, the AAA catcher, has good plate discipline but very, very little power. Trading Quintero for Redding didn't help either.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kevin sent out a few "feelers" upon hearing this news. The sooner we get a new backstop in, and working with the staff, the better IMO.
I'd hate to lose Ramon, but what can you do? You do not handcuff the team financially for a catcher, that’s for sure.

Agreed.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:40 am

Amazinz wrote:

That's why I said 33 in the last year of the contract.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:51 am

blankman wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

That's why I said 33 in the last year of the contract.

Got ya. Well that's the nature of the beast I guess. Same reason Piazza and Posada are overpaid right now. A team's always going to end up paying a little too much at the end of a contract.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:20 am

Update:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250716125

Padres C Ramon Hernandez, who will be eligible for free agency after this season, wouldn't confirm or deny reports that he's changing agents from Eric Goldschmidt to Scott Boras. ``Everyone keeps asking me about that,'' Hernandez said. ``I'm tired of hearing that.'' Said Boras: ``I don't comment on what players I meet with or talk with.''

:-?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers