the news on bonds just keeps looking worse... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the news on bonds just keeps looking worse...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:46 pm

Did anyone see his interview with Rodney Peete on Best Damn Sports Show? He is a complete ego-maniac.

He went on for like 2 minutes on how baseball is boring without him and that baseball needs him in order to make the game interesting for the fans. He then went on to say he doesn't care if people hate him or love him, but he now knows that without him baseball is not as well off.

I am pretty sure more people have gone to baseball games this year in the first half then ever before. I think baseball is very rich and exciting right now without Bonds. Baseball doesn't need him. He may bring some added excitement to people, but baseball doesn't need him and it sure as hell isn't boring without him. Even if this were to be true, who would stand up in front of the world on TV and announce how great they are and how much baseball NEEDS HIM.

What an A-hole.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:18 pm

Phatferd wrote:Did anyone see his interview with Rodney Peete on Best Damn Sports Show? He is a complete ego-maniac.

He went on for like 2 minutes on how baseball is boring without him and that baseball needs him in order to make the game interesting for the fans. He then went on to say he doesn't care if people hate him or love him, but he now knows that without him baseball is not as well off.

I am pretty sure more people have gone to baseball games this year in the first half then ever before. I think baseball is very rich and exciting right now without Bonds. Baseball doesn't need him. He may bring some added excitement to people, but baseball doesn't need him and it sure as hell isn't boring without him. Even if this were to be true, who would stand up in front of the world on TV and announce how great they are and how much baseball NEEDS HIM.

What an A-hole.

:-t :-t - Peete

Baseball absolutely does not need him; he's little more than a distraction and a black eye for the sport with the steriod allegations.

Baseball has moved on nicely without him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:34 pm

bd3521 wrote:there's no reason to own Bonds in a non-keeper or dynasty league this year. I have been saying it for months.

LOL. Is that you Jimmy the Greek?? :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:36 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:I'm not a Bonds fan by any stretch of the imagination, but to say that he's not playing to avoid steroid testing is ridiculous, IMO. If Barry were physically healthy enough to be playing baseball right now, believe me, he'd be playing baseball right now

He is eligible to be tested, even on the DL. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:38 pm

soxwillchoke wrote:
Irish wrote:I know about the surgeries/infection etc, but why were there so many projections for him then? FIVE different times they thought he would resume playing.

It seems a bit fishy when people expect you to play and then it gets extended, then it happens five times. I'm sure the infection etc was serious, I don't doubt that, but it doesn't seem like he was working his but off trying to get back.

We get that you don't like the guy. But don't throw in stuff that doesn't even apply to him.

1. Who is making these projections? Bonds? No. The Giants? No. ESPN - YES - because they want you to watch Sportscenter.

2. Name any player in any sport who has undergone two knee surgeries within a season that has returned to play in that season. He's like 40 years old and you actually want to knock him because he cant' come back from multiple surguries and a staff infection in a matter of months.

If you want to hate, just say you're hating. Don't try and talk about stuff you don't know - like how hard Bonds is working.

Unless the media reported false information, weren't these procedures just scopes?? Without complications, some players can come back from that within a few weeks. Berkman came back in 6 months from ACL/MCL reconstruction.

Just an FYI.
Lofunzo

Postby eftda » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:54 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:I'm not a Bonds fan by any stretch of the imagination, but to say that he's not playing to avoid steroid testing is ridiculous, IMO. If Barry were physically healthy enough to be playing baseball right now, believe me, he'd be playing baseball right now

He is eligible to be tested, even on the DL. :-?

Yup and he was tested. 1/2 the Giants were tested and not one test came up positive for steroids. He was test early June 2005.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby soxwillchoke » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
soxwillchoke wrote:
Irish wrote:I know about the surgeries/infection etc, but why were there so many projections for him then? FIVE different times they thought he would resume playing.

It seems a bit fishy when people expect you to play and then it gets extended, then it happens five times. I'm sure the infection etc was serious, I don't doubt that, but it doesn't seem like he was working his but off trying to get back.

We get that you don't like the guy. But don't throw in stuff that doesn't even apply to him.

1. Who is making these projections? Bonds? No. The Giants? No. ESPN - YES - because they want you to watch Sportscenter.

2. Name any player in any sport who has undergone two knee surgeries within a season that has returned to play in that season. He's like 40 years old and you actually want to knock him because he cant' come back from multiple surguries and a staff infection in a matter of months.

If you want to hate, just say you're hating. Don't try and talk about stuff you don't know - like how hard Bonds is working.

Unless the media reported false information, weren't these procedures just scopes?? Without complications, some players can come back from that within a few weeks. Berkman came back in 6 months from ACL/MCL reconstruction.

Just an FYI.

It's usually 4-6 weeks. But 2 inside of a month and a half? I can't think of anyone who's been through that and played in the same season.
soxwillchoke
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tavish » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Phatferd wrote:I am pretty sure more people have gone to baseball games this year in the first half then ever before.

Based on pure numbers it has, but in truth baseball attendance has slightly regressed since the record numbers of last season. The Nationals are drawing a 400% increase over what the Expos drew last season. Overall baseball attendance is up about 700K from where it was last year, the Nationals have drawn about 1.1 million more than the Expos did at this point. As more teams fall out of the races the drop off will be slightly larger, assuming of course that some of the divisions don't stay this close all year.

The Giants are still drawing extremely well at home, but not surprising their road attendance has dropped off. The No-Bonds effect isn't "death of the league" size but it certainly is there.

Personally I do miss Bonds, he is the greatest player of this generation and quite possibly of all time. Its not very often you have the chance to see that, but the game will go on without him and there will always be new stars ready to take teh spotlight.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:24 pm

soxwillchoke wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
soxwillchoke wrote:

Just an FYI.

It's usually 4-6 weeks. But 2 inside of a month and a half? I can't think of anyone who's been through that and played in the same season.

4-6 weeks for a scope?? Having more than 1 doesn't mean that he shouldn't be back this season. It just means that they had to go back in to clean him up.
Lofunzo

Postby amich1 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:02 am

BARROIDS!!! He doesn't deserve to break any records anyway.
J.Lo? I knew her back when they said "Hey, ho".
amich1
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers