Proper Offer For Buy Low Guys Like... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Proper Offer For Buy Low Guys Like...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Proper Offer For Buy Low Guys Like...

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:43 pm

Well I understand a couple of these guys are on the rise or just below their numbers, but this is a good thread for people who are trying to make a move like myself. Now the feedback im looking for is if these players are worth acquiring and if so, What Is A Good Offer That If You Were Offered For These Players Youd Accept... potential buy low players:

Offensive Players

-carlos beltran
-todd helton
-aubrey huff
-scott rolen
-jim thome
-juan pierre
-eric chavez
-jim edmonds
-adrian beltre
-chipper jones
-milton bradley
-javy lopez

Pitchers

-johan santana(cheapest youll ever get em)
-randy johnson
-jason schmidt
-kerry wood
-josh beckett
-mark prior
-curt schilling
-ben sheets
-tim hudson
-oliver perez
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:50 pm

In no way, shape, or form is Prior a buy low candidate. That time was long ago when he was injured.

I also don't see why Edmonds and Chavez are on that list. Both of them like I said the time has passed, and gone.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:53 pm

well like i said, with the exception of a couple guys on the list... take off prior, edmonds, and chavez... and johan
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:54 pm

Jason Schmidt and Hudson are probably iffy too. Schmidt has pitched well the last month and Hudson is coming off the DL this week. I suppose they dont command top dollar at this moment, but most owners will probably not part with them for cheap because they seem to be on the upswing and might as well ride it out since they have come this far.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 pm

This question is really too vague to answer anyways.

Obviously if I owned Ben Sheets and someone offered Pujols for him, I would take it. There is no way to determine an answer to this without taking into consideration the team they are on and their place in the standings. A top level team will be less likely to sell these guys low.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:22 pm

i'll take a general stab at it. i did a deal a week/two weeks ago, more or less trading a-ram for beltran, after beltran had his 3 steals in 2 days. in our league, a-ram was a high 4th rounder who was (at least) matching expectations and beltran was obviously a mid-first rounder who was not. and that had about the right feel to it.

as general advice, i would think buy-low players would be fair exchanges for:

* players of similar expectations who experienced similar woes (beltran for helton two weeks ago would probably be considered fair and interesting to both sides)

* players of slightly lower expectations (say 2-4 draft rounds) who are performing solidly to slightly above

* players who came from nowhere who are just dropping everyone's jaw

if someone is trading away a pre-season stud, they're probably still holding onto some hope that they're going to return to form. so to compensate or make it interesting for them, if it's going to be lower value, it has to at least be a solid acquisiton. and if it's going to be a much lower value, it has to be a spectacular one because there's always the fear that you're buying high and all of a sudden brian roberts is going to turn into, well... last year's brian roberts.

that would be my broad take on it. it also helps if you can address a specific need they have or if you can tell that they're just getting fed up watching this bum do another 0-for-4 night and are getting desperate. but i would say that would be a guideline that you could at least get people interested and to the table with.

best of luck.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Guru » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:26 pm

Santana: I offered Schmidt and A-Ram

Sheets and Nathan: I offered Manny

Pierre: Can't seem to pry hi away from his owner even though he never plays him!. Straight up I've offered Livan Hernadez, Ordonez, Sizemore
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby victordestructo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:24 pm

Sheets has given up 2 ER or less in five of his last six starts I dont think he's buy low at this point...
"I feel like I am pregnant with all these ideas. I am just trying to give birth to them."
-Miguel Batista describing his writing career
victordestructo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby toofunny » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:45 pm

the point of the thread wasn't to bitch at his list.

and if you want to bitch, you're all wrong. all those guys on the list are performing at a lower level for the entire season then was expected. Lots of people use the season totals to guage a trade, and all those guys are below average. so its a good list.

and honestly I can't add too many names. Most people wait for a good run to move people who have been sucking, so even if they have been hot lately you can probably still get them for a fair price.
toofunny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 pm

When offering for a buy low canidate i find it helpful to offer a player who does not play the same position as the player you are trying to acquire. Offering Hafner for Helton or something of that nature is a fruitless endevor since before the year Helton had significantly more value than Hafner which the owner will remember. If you offer a player at a different position it is much harder to gauge value and the other owner might be inclined to bite.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers