NICKLAUS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NICKLAUS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NICKLAUS

Postby stevethumb » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:12 pm

i wish i were more eloquent so i could accurately describe the scene at the 18th hole at st. andrews this morning...the greatest golfer of all time playing at the revered home of golf...sitting on my couch with tears streaming down my cheeks as jack sank a 10 foot putt for birdie !!! the respect, admiration, and love for this gracious man was overwhelming.. for he's a jolly good fellow..........
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:22 pm

He probably wont make the cut, right?...so it is good that he ended on a good hole.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:29 pm

BigMusky wrote:He probably wont make the cut, right?

The projected cut is E, so probably not. I wish I'd been able to see it. :,-( Hopefully they'll replay it ad nauseam on the highlight shows tonight.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Ya, it was a great ending to his career.

He does say that this is his last go at tournament play, but he's said this before.

Maybe he will head back to the Masters one more time, because last year it didn't end quite right (he finished on 9 instead of 18).

A birdie on 18 at St.Andrews (his favourite course) would certainly be a fitting end though, and I'd rather him not come back.

He still has the mind of a champion, but his body doesn't let him do the things he used too, and that's why he feels he must bow out of pro golf. He hates to lose, and to be a champion you must always have this feeling.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 pm

Yeah, he's a good guy. Compare him to David Duval. The formal world #1 has missed the cut in all 11 of the tournaments that he has played this year and hacked up the course for a +13 in 2 days at the Open. He's only there because he is a former champion, but now he is just embarrassing himself.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 pm

I guess I'm too young to admire him that much but yea its pretty cool
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Yeah, he's a good guy. Compare him to David Duval. The formal world #1 has missed the cut in all 11 of the tournaments that he has played this year and hacked up the course for a +13 in 2 days at the Open. He's only there because he is a former champion, but now he is just embarrassing himself.

I think that's an outrageous comparison, but to each his own. He's there becasue he's the greatest player the game has ever known.

And I hope he does give it one more go at the Masters this April so he can walk up 18 like Arnie did last year and get the ovation he so very much deserves. ;-D I know he doesn't want to be a ceremonial golfer, but I just can't imagine Augusta without Jack. He defined that tournament and that tournament defined him. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:36 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Yeah, he's a good guy. Compare him to David Duval. The formal world #1 has missed the cut in all 11 of the tournaments that he has played this year and hacked up the course for a +13 in 2 days at the Open. He's only there because he is a former champion, but now he is just embarrassing himself.

I think that's an outrageous comparison, but to each his own. He's there becasue he's the greatest player the game has ever known.

And I hope he does give it one more go at the Masters this April so he can walk up 18 like Arnie did last year and get the ovation he so very much deserves. ;-D I know he doesn't want to be a ceremonial golfer, but I just can't imagine Augusta without Jack. He defined that tournament and that tournament defined him. ;-D

Maybe it was a little confusing (gotta remember to dumb it down for the golf guys).

Golden Bear = good guy going out in style
Duval = embarrassing himself
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:47 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Maybe it was a little confusing (gotta remember to dumb it down for the golf guys).

Understood and you had to know that Jack would birdie 18. As for Duval, he is kinda embarrasing himself but he has had a lot of physical ailments and his mental state isn't quite right. I admire him for trying.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Understood and you had to know that Jack would birdie 18. As for Duval, he is kinda embarrasing himself but he has had a lot of physical ailments and his mental state isn't quite right. I admire him for trying.

The #1 priority in David Duval's life simply isn't golf anymore. He's stated this many times since he has tried to make his comeback. There is nothing wrong with prioritizing family in front of golf, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to General Talk