A riddle: How is A.J. Burnett like Daniel Cabrera? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A riddle: How is A.J. Burnett like Daniel Cabrera?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: if only brian roberts could pitch......sigh

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:Cabrera is one of a handful of players that can toss 100pmh -- check out his last few games, he's putting it together now and has the possibility of having a monster second half.

I'd throw cabrera in with a very slim handful of pitchers that have the stuff/ceiling to have a Santana second half.

spectacular guy to grab now with +++++upside.[/i]

Greg Maddux has won over 300 games without even throwing 90mph, so being able to throw 100mph is not an indicator of success. Harnessing that speed and being able to throw strikes would be however, but at this time, he has not shown the ability to do that with any regularity.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mamorris » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:28 pm

I've never seen a guy get so much curry for something he was actually RIGHT about (or close enough anyway). Frances I can only hope you're as close with your Cabrera prediction as you were with your Roberts prediction, but he'll have to cut down on the walks before we can expect any sort of run as an elite pitcher. I still have him on any team where I can get him though, because I think he'll be decent, just not Johan Santana.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:36 pm

jblank wrote:
Frances The Mute wrote:Cabrera is one of a handful of players that can toss 100pmh -- check out his last few games, he's putting it together now and has the possibility of having a monster second half.

I'd throw cabrera in with a very slim handful of pitchers that have the stuff/ceiling to have a Santana second half.

Greg Maddux has won over 300 games without even throwing 90mph, so being able to throw 100mph is not an indicator of success. Harnessing that speed and being able to throw strikes would be however, but at this time, he has not shown the ability to do that with any regularity.

Actually Maddux threw in the 90s regularly in his prime
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: backin him up

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:37 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:cabrera= this years Santana in second half of season.

100mph fire anyone?

I just dropped Clemens for him ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
jblank wrote:

Actually Maddux threw in the 90s regularly in his prime

That was a bit of hyperbole on my part, but the truth is that Maddux, even in his primest of primes, was hardly a fireballer, and relied much more on speed changing and movement, than on speed.

My point was that just because Cabrera can hit triple digits on the gun, that does not mean he will be as succesful or unhittable as Santana circa late '04.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: backin him up

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Yoda wrote:
Frances The Mute wrote:cabrera= this years Santana in second half of season.

100mph fire anyone?

I just dropped Clemens for him ;-D

I really hope thats a joke.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:57 pm

my trade of burnett and chipper(pre injury) for huff and prior is looking better and better :-°
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:01 pm

After a bit of thinking -- he's more like last years oliver perez, or has the potential of.

Flamethrower who might finally harness his control and dominate with high K rate. he is in a tough division and I would say that if you can control a 100 pmh fastball your better off than if you didn't have that pitch.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:04 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:After a bit of thinking -- he's more like last years oliver perez, or has the potential of.

Flamethrower who might finally harness his control and dominate with high K rate. he is in a tough division and I would say that if you can control a 100 pmh fastball your better off than if you didn't have that pitch.

Agreed, but what indictation do you have that his control has finally turned the corner? Two of his last four games he has had five walks or more.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:22 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:After a bit of thinking -- he's more like last years oliver perez, or has the potential of.

Keep your pants on. Cabrera is walking nearly 1 batter every inning. He's got ridiculous stuff but he still needs a lot more work than you can possibly fathom.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers