Harden Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Harden Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Harden Question

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:14 am

Why did the umpire charge Harden with ball three against TEix for touching his mouth?

Is it because it would be like a spitball?

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:30 am

A pitcher is only allowed to go to his mouth in certain circumstances, usually when it is very cold.

The pitcher shall not_ (a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president

Going to your mouth is an opportunity to put a foreign substance (even spit) on to your hand and then on the ball that could alter the tragectory of the ball in flight.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Ron Santo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:40 am

Mookie > Baseball Encyclopedia.
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:44 am

Mookie4ever wrote:A pitcher is only allowed to go to his mouth in certain circumstances, usually when it is very cold.

The pitcher shall not_ (a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president

Going to your mouth is an opportunity to put a foreign substance (even spit) on to your hand and then on the ball that could alter the tragectory of the ball in flight.

Yeah I thought it had something to do with a spitball......thanks for explaining it MOokie ;-D

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:15 pm

I saw that too, but it didn't look any different than when a pitcher licks his fingers after getting the ball back sometimes. :-? I've always wondered how they get away with that if what Mookie posted is the exact language of the rule. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:21 pm

I think you can go to mouth all you want, but it has to be off the mound.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Phatferd wrote:I think you can go to mouth all you want, but it has to be off the mound.

yep ;-D
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:25 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I saw that too, but it didn't look any different than when a pitcher licks his fingers after getting the ball back sometimes. :-? I've always wondered how they get away with that if what Mookie posted is the exact language of the rule. :-?

They cant do that if theyre on the mound. After they charged him with a ball i went back to mlb.com and flipped through several archived games, EVERY TIME i saw a pitcher fiddle with his hand near his mouth he was off the mound. Im pretty sure thats the case, as was already suggested.

Wouldnt it have been great if that was ball 4 and that's what had blown the PG, the umpire would have been booed out of the stadium.
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:57 pm

OK, I see. I thought when Harden did it he was off the front of the mound. Guess I'll have to watch a little closer from now on. :-D ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers