A little Advice on D. Willis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A little Advice on D. Willis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A little Advice on D. Willis

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:38 am

Alot is being made now about how he is a second half bum....well dont believe that. His rookie season he fell apart after the break, and that is it. He was consistant all last year with his BAA and WHIP actually dropping after the break. The problem with his splits is that they are distorted. He is only in his third season, so his blazing hot first half this year with his rookie year first half make his pre-allstar stats look great. The second half of rookie year was not good and he did not have that great of a year last year, so his second half splits dont look great. The fact that he was consistant last year makes me believe he will be this year too. My advice to you all is to trade for him now with all the media hype about how he is a second half bum...probably get him cheaper then normal.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:15 am

The problem with your theory is that he was still playing WAAAAAAAY above his head earlier this year and he's not going to have a breakdown, just go back to the +/- 4.00 ERA pitcher that he truly is. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:24 am

I dont know...he has the pitches and stuff to be the guy he is now, otherwise he would not have had the success he had rookie year. The problem was rookie year that he did not know how to pitch and I think he has figured that out now. I bet he stays in the lower 3's ERA with a WHIP around 1.2, solid guy. I am not saying he will be your number 1 starter or anything...I am just saying you can aquire a very solid arm on your team cheap now with everyone thinking the end is coming.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby baseballnewb » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:37 am

My advice still is to sell high on the guy. His whip over the past 3 months is that of a 3.5 era pitcher or so. His K rate is not elite level and while his groundball ratio is good, it is nowhere near good enough for him to keep his HR's down as much as they have been this year. His secondary stats just scream that he's at his maximum value and his last 8-9 starts have shown some serious slippage in his primary stats. If you are fortunate enough to get a slightly underperforming guy like Sheets for him I personally say pull the trigger, don't sell him just to sell, but if you get solid 4th-5th round or better quality player for him do it.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:54 am

Right now he is the 3rd ranked pitcher in the NL for the season, obviously if he commands that kind of value in a deal then you better ship him off. The perception that I am getting though is that everyone is just dumping this guy because they think he is going to become a 4+ ERA pitcher with a nasty whip with low K's and I am just saying that I would be very suprised if that happens. I am saying that if some owner is holding him with that mentality you might be able to pick him up very cheap.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Deuce » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:50 pm

Dontrelle should not be traded or sold in a keeper league. He will be back in form next season too.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers