Baseball history Q - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball history Q

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball history Q

Postby chinst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:37 am

I'm just curious and I know there are a lot of people here who know more than people shoud about baseball. So, does anybody know offhand what is the most runs scored in the first inning of a major league game? As much details as you can get about that game would be greatly appreciated...
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:10 am

The Boston Beaneaters on June 18, 1894 against Baltimore (don't know what team, can't be the O's) when they scored 16 runs in the 1st inning.

The AL record was tied by the Red Sox in 2003 when they scored 14 runs in the 1st against Florida in an interleague game. Cleveland also scored 14 runs against the Philadelphia A's in the 1st inning in 1950.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:21 am

Not sure if they are the record, but they must be real close,

14 runs is the first inning .. Boston Red Sox 25, Florida Marlins 8

16 runs in the 9th .. Texas Rangers 26, Baltimore Orioles 7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby chinst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:26 am

Thanks for the speedy replies. I have one more quesiton, since you guys were so good with that one: What was the most runs scored in the ninth for a come from behind victory?
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:32 am

well define come from behind?
becuase Texas actually trailed in that game I posted, where they scored 16 runs in the 9th.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:30 am

Rirruto wrote:The Boston Beaneaters on June 18, 1894 against Baltimore (don't know what team, can't be the O's) when they scored 16 runs in the 1st inning.

One correction, not on the data, but on the nickname.

This team was simply known as the Bostons. Once the AL entry arrived at the run of the century, they became known as the "Nationals", and the other teams was the "Americans." Neither was an official nickname, but simply a term of reference.

As for "Beaneaters", this was one of three monikers that were creations of the press, but that were never widely used by players or fans. They were also referred to as the Triumvirs or Seleemen (after their mgr. Frank Selee). The AL entry was alternately called Pilgrims, Puritans, Somersets (after skipper Charles Somers) and Collinsmen (after manager Collins). Also the Plymouth Rocks was apparently in vogue among the writers.

But neither team was actually known by any of these nicknames.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby tmoney » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:31 am

wrveres wrote:well define come from behind?
becuase Texas actually trailed in that game I posted, where they scored 16 runs in the 9th.

Texas actually scored 16 in the 8th according to the link. The most runs scored in the 9th by a single team was 14, on 4-24-1894 in a Baltimore vs. Boston game in which Baltimore won 15-3.
I cant find the inning by inning breakdown of the game, but using common sense it can be seen that Baltimore would have had 1 run at the start of the top of the 9th, making the score 1-x. Baltimore then scored 14 runs making the score 15-x. I am using x because I dont know when Boston scored those 3 runs, but I am going to assume that Boston had at least 2 runs going into the top of the 9th inning, meaning Baltimore scored 14 runs in the 9th inning for a come from behind victory.
But I just realized that maybe you meant, what is the largest deficit a team has over come in the 9th inning for a come from behind win, so I am just going to stop right here.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:51 am

thehat wrote:
Rirruto wrote:The Boston Beaneaters on June 18, 1894 against Baltimore (don't know what team, can't be the O's) when they scored 16 runs in the 1st inning.

One correction, not on the data, but on the nickname.

This team was simply known as the Bostons. Once the AL entry arrived at the run of the century, they became known as the "Nationals", and the other teams was the "Americans." Neither was an official nickname, but simply a term of reference.

As for "Beaneaters", this was one of three monikers that were creations of the press, but that were never widely used by players or fans. They were also referred to as the Triumvirs or Seleemen (after their mgr. Frank Selee). The AL entry was alternately called Pilgrims, Puritans, Somersets (after skipper Charles Somers) and Collinsmen (after manager Collins). Also the Plymouth Rocks was apparently in vogue among the writers.

But neither team was actually known by any of these nicknames.

I was just going by what baseball-reference.com told me
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BSN/1894.shtml
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gabenterprises » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:02 pm

I don't know its the record, but sometime when Lee Smith was the closer for the Red Sox, I seem to remember him giving up a nine run lead in the ninth. It was memorable, even though I was like 9- must've been in about '87. Any other Sox fans remember that?
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 pm

tmoney wrote:
wrveres wrote:well define come from behind?

Texas actually scored 16 in the 8th according to the link.

your right 8th innning... I missed that thanks .

I checked retrosheet.org about the other game you mentioned, and they have they show the game and the score but not the 'box score'.. If they don't have it, I doubt anybody does.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers