Who can't wait until Saturday?(Potential H. Potter Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Who can't wait until Saturday?(Potential H. Potter Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:45 am

dannyolbb wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Still you'd think he would have told someone about his impending death at the hands of the HBP, particularly Harry.

Now, even if the HBP does come back to the "good side" with help, he won't be taken seriously by anybody, and just thrown in Azkaban.

In this way, I don't see how anybody could have benefited from his death except Voldemort himself.

Although, he always trusted the HBP for a reason that they haven't yet disclosed in any of the books. We will probably soon find out in the next one why he trusted him. Maybe it will turn out that this was his plan all along, because he was quite a smart wizard which usually planned out everything throughly. I mean isn't it a bit weird that Harry and him didn't just escape initially when they met *? 2 on 1... I mean even Harry could have even beaten * easily, and then they could have been off. It's all a little fishy to me..

How do we know he didn't tell anyone? Perhaps he told his brother (the barman in Hogsmeade). Perhaps he told the OOTP but they kept it to themselves to prod Harry into action. There are a lot of maybes.

Here's what I'm sure of. Dumbledore has never been wrong in these books. I doubt he's wrong now.

Also, the more I think of it, Reg. Black seems too obvious. Since when has JK Rowling ever been up front? It just seems too obvious.

Agreed. Dumbledore has never been wrong in any of these books, and he shouldn't start now. But it looked to me as if the OOTP looked pretty shocked at *'s death (Lupin, McGonagall). You'd think if he was going to tell anybody, it would be Harry. You know *'s brother (the barman), I didn't notice him at the funeral in the list of names. Wouldn't he have been there for his own brother's funeral? Somethings up..

As for Regulus Black, it does seem a bit obvious seeing as we don't really know any other R.B's in these books yet. It could of course be someone we don't even know yet.

I just found an interview on the net of JK Rowling about a day after the book was written, and they asked questions about the plot. She didn't give many answers, but it is still interesting.

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview2.shtml

You know who I thought was one of the better characters? Fenrir Greyback. Did he die or did he get away? I'm not sure. Does anybody know?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:22 am

R.A.B.'s gotta be Rebellus Black. Think about it: it refers to LV as "The Dark Lord" and the only people that do that are Death Eaters. The A, for the middle initial, may be named after his uncle; the one who was wiped off the family tree on the tapestry in Book V. Rebellus was supposedly killed a few days after he vanished. Knowing that betraying the LV meant certain death he may have wanted to at least take down part of LV with him. The cause of Rebellus' death has never been answered, so how do we even know he was killed; especially since it's all anecdotal.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:45 am

wow great discussion, i have to get goin soon, but i agree totally with the * wanting to die, but i have no clue why he wouldnt tell harry. It seems he could confide so much in harry, but not thta he was planning to get himself killed. OH nevermind, he didnt tell harry because if he did, Harry would have tried to stop Snape even thoguht * told him not to. THoghts?

--edited to eliminate spoilers, Trans--
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:36 am

Please don't use the names - or at least not in the context of spoilers.

I agree that I think * knew the HBP would kill *. * constantly requests Harry to get the HBP - I think he knew what had to happen and was prepared to make it happen.

Also, as for knowing what was going on at Hogwart's, I cannot believe Dumbledore would not have known the link between Hogwart's and B&B existed. As such, I believe the end of the book could not have been surprising to Dumbledore, and that *'s death may have been planned by him to force Harry to take his next step. Throw in the fact that if R.A.B. had already succeeded, how would the head of the Order not known - which makes the trip Harry takes to have been pointless, other than to take Dumbledore away from Hogwart's to allow the end result to begin.

Anyway, a solid book and good read. Not my favorite, but I think it sets up book 7 well. I'm just not looking forward to the 2-3 year wait.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:37 am

Every time I see HBP I think Hit By Pitch. :-b

I haven't read the Harry Potter series, so this thread is already hard enough to read without baseball references being thrown around. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:26 am

beltrans_boy wrote:Harry dies.

/thread.

;-7

Does he actually? 8-o
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AT » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:39 am

lol I was starting to get curious about what this long thread was about so I started to read it and got to about the 4th line of the 1st post.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 pm

bceagles04 wrote:wow great discussion, i have to get goin soon, but i agree totally with the Dumb. wanting to die, but i have no clue why he wouldnt tell harry. It seems he could confide so much in harry, but not thta he was planning to get himself killed. OH nevermind, he didnt tell harry because if he did, Harry would have tried to stop Snape even thoguht Dumb. told him not to. THoghts?

I suppose that would happen, because Harry hates the HBP to no end. Regardless of whether what the HBP was doing was part of the plan of * or not, I think Harry will always hate him for being a traitor (telling Voldemort about his parent's location) and for killing *.

Ya, Harry would have likely tried to stop the HBP even if * told him about any sort of a plan.

I was under the impression that Greyback (the werewolf) escaped from Hogwarts, because they didn't talk about him at all after Harry knocked him down. Anybody know?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:43 pm

mweir145 wrote:I was under the impression that Greyback (the werewolf) escaped from Hogwarts, because they didn't talk about him at all after Harry knocked him down. Anybody know?

I got the impression that he escaped as well
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Rirruto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I was under the impression that Greyback (the werewolf) escaped from Hogwarts, because they didn't talk about him at all after Harry knocked him down. Anybody know?

I got the impression that he escaped as well

That's what I assumed. They didn't talk much about him being caught or killed..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk