how long till schilling isnt permitted to close anymore - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how long till schilling isnt permitted to close anymore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:08 am

I imagine Schill gets at least a few opps before management decides they'd better find someone else. I just can't see overreacting to one game.

That said, I have doubts that he can do this particular job, however I'm not basing that opinion on tonight's performance.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DannyMyron89 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:36 am

you boston fans should not be mad at schilling at all....

even if his era is over 6 this year and blows save after save and does the same next year, for all that he did for you in 04, helping you bostonians see something that your father never saw, and your grandfather probably never saw, or doesnt remember, a championship in Beantown...

Schilling IMO gets a lifetime pass in boston...
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:59 am

I think he'll probably be moved to middle releiver until TImlin blows a save then he'll probably get the job back.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:03 am

DannyMyron89 wrote:you boston fans should not be mad at schilling at all....

even if his era is over 6 this year and blows save after save and does the same next year, for all that he did for you in 04, helping you bostonians see something that your father never saw, and your grandfather probably never saw, or doesnt remember, a championship in Beantown...

Schilling IMO gets a lifetime pass in boston...

Yeah, plus the fact that he didn't get beat by a "real Yankee." :-D

I kid, I kid. But in seriousness, Myron, the question here isn't his worth as a pitcher, it's simply how long he'll be the closer, and as other people have said, it's waaayyyy too early to judge his role. Just because people are critiquing him doesn't mean they feel he's less valuable or whatever. Let's not lump Boston fans all together, I'm guessing the ones who feel the way you described are in the vast minority.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby This is the year » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:16 am

gws226 wrote:sorry I think economics talk hear........ Schilling will not be a setup/middle relief @ his salary.

Do you honestly think that the Red Sox FO is stupid enough to subscribe to this philosophy? As far as most people in Boston are concerned, Schilling's delivered the price of his contract 5 times over in just his first year on the team. Theo and Tito will put him in whatever role he can excel in, and won't hesitate to remove him from the closer role if he continues to suck. They're paying him the same amount of money no matter what he does, so why would they allow him to blow close games if his performance continues to be sub-optimal? This isn't this year's Reds or the Diamondbacks of '03 we're talking here.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:56 pm

This is the year wrote:
gws226 wrote:sorry I think economics talk hear........ Schilling will not be a setup/middle relief @ his salary.

Do you honestly think that the Red Sox FO is stupid enough to subscribe to this philosophy? As far as most people in Boston are concerned, Schilling's delivered the price of his contract 5 times over in just his first year on the team. Theo and Tito will put him in whatever role he can excel in, and won't hesitate to remove him from the closer role if he continues to suck. They're paying him the same amount of money no matter what he does, so why would they allow him to blow close games if his performance continues to be sub-optimal? This isn't this year's Reds or the Diamondbacks of '03 we're talking here.

Yes, the Boston FO IS that stupid.

That’s why Schilling is here now – because they’re paying him too much to pitch on the Triple-A level. He certainly didn’t earn his way back to the big leagues with his consistent performance on the minor league level.

He couldn’t put together back-to-back quality starts, so they moved him to the pen. He only had, what, one or two decent appearances (after doing what he did last night) in that role. He had a relief ERA of 27.00 coming into last night’s game. There is NOTHING in Schilling’s resume that says this guy can pitch out of the bullpen, but yet here he is going up against Sheff and A-rod, then making excuses as to why he can’t rise to the occasion (“...two of the best hitters in the game, blah, blah”).

If he were any other pitcher he’d be DEMOTED to AA not promoted to the closer’s role on a team at the start of a pennant race.

It’s about either money or ego. It certainly isn’t about baseball.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers