Will Urbina be traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Urbina be traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nero » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:36 am

DK wrote:he better not go to SF....i have worrell on my fantasy team...

amen brother
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby metsfan (gulp) » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:35 am

Whats the latests? I heard that he cannot be traded before June 16th I believe because he was signed a s a free agent? Not sure the reasoning but I don't believe he can be dealt for at least another few days. Trade him QUICKLY!
metsfan (gulp)

Friendliness: %

Postby Nero » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:41 am

the latest is that you should go out and pick up Francisco Cordero

the Yanks waived Acevedo yesterday apparently clearing up a spot for Urbina

I think the yanks are going to get him for 2 reasons...

1) take some strain off of Rivera and spruce up the pen...

2) prevent the Red Sox from getting him...the one achilles heel of my beloved boys is the bullpen...otherwise they can compete with NY all season long (same story different year)
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:52 am

i think they waived acevedo because he was terrible. he was ok as a fill in closer but he was just awful as a set up man.

given that many closers seem to struggle when not in save situations i wouldnt really be excited about using uggie as a set up man, but big stein does whatever he wants.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby demoflauchy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:03 am

Should I deal Urbina??? If he goes to the Yanks and then is a free agent, surely he'll go to some team that needs a closer in a bad way for next year. If this is the case, then he might be worth a keeper status for next year, but it all seems a bit risky.

I count on him for the majority of my saves, this would be horrible if he was not a closer for the remainder of the year...
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:23 am

OK, here are the parameters of how Urbina can be traded:

He cannot be moved until after June 15th because he is in Texas on a one-year deal (as opposed to a multi-year deal). That has nothing to do with his specific contract, but with baseball's collective bargaining agreement, to keep players from getting dumped too early.

He has a limited no-trade clause, but the Yankees are not one of the teams listed. Thus, he cannot stop the trade even if he wanted to. The fact that he is not a 10-5 player has nothing to do with no trade protection in his contract (the two different issues are apples and oranges)

The 10-5 rule has no applicability here whatsoever. In this era of free agency there are very few 10-5 players (meaning that the player has 10 uninterrupted years of major league service, and has spent the last 5 playing for the same team). For instance, Mike Piazza JUST became a 10-5 player last month on the 5 year anniversary of his original trade to the Mets (it doesn't matter that he's on a different contract now than when he arrived). When you are a 10-5 player, you have to approve ANY trade, regardless of the terms of your individual contract. Urbina, who was with a different team LAST year, would not be a 10-5 player unless he stayed with Texas until the beginning of the 2008 season.

That being said, I think trade negotiations will go into full force next week (once June 15th is in the past), and there could be an announcement as early as June 16th. So, unless your league counts holds, trade him quick if you can get anything of value in return.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby quickfingerz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:07 pm

I'd say it's a GUARANTEE. FA after the season and a guy who is dominant on a club that will not make the playoffs.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:18 pm

Does that mean the Rangers will unload Gonzo and Everett too? How does that affect their values?

Seems a little early for Texas to be calling it a season, but I guess when you have to play the M's and A's so much, your bound to lose.

Wonder if that 250 mil was worth A-rod wasting his life in Texas?
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lab_rats » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:28 pm

the latest from yahoo sports:
Jun 11 The Boston Globe reports the Boston Red Sox may be interested in trading for pitcher Ugueth Urbina, even though they let the reliever go via free agency after last season. The New York Yankees expressed interest in trading for the reliever, so Boston would view the move as a pre-emptive one to prevent the Yankees from getting Urbina.

can anyone back this up? i haven't found the actual article on the boston globe online. is zimmerman worth a pick up if cordrero has already been taken in my league? what about jay witasick and tom gordon? could koch and marte both be demoted, and the 40K/29 inning flash gordon take their spot? who knows!!?? ha ha ha sweating urbina owner over here.
lab_rats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:31 pm

If you have a free DL slot and don't need it for any other purpose, it might be worth it to stash Zimmerman there just in case. But, I doubt he'll be closing this year given he hasn't pitched in over a year and will need some time to recover his form.

Witasick could well eventually take over the closing role in SD from Herges/Beck, since he's clearly the best pitchers. However how many save opps will there really be on that disaster of a team? I don't think the likelihood of both Koch and Marte being demoted is very high. Koch has started coming around, and Marte has been sensational this year, so Gordon geting the closer's role is highly unlikely this year.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers