Sports Management - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sports Management

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 pm

BigMusky wrote:I did not think anyone actually got a degree in Sports Managment that was not on a full ride for football or basketball etc. What the hell do you do with a sports managment degree anyway...become an athletic director?

I have 3 friends all in college to get their degree in sports management, and that's exactly what they're going for; to become athletic directors. And no, none of them are looking to become high school athletic directors. :-b The job of athletic director for a large facility or college, though, wouldn't be a half bad job I don't think.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:42 pm

Big Musky, why the negativity, there are all kinds of careers with a degree in Sports Management. And what kind of salary would an AD of a College get (in general?)
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:28 am

bceagles04 wrote:And what kind of salary would an AD of a College get (in general?)

I don't think that's exactly an entry level type job. :-D I think it greatly varies, but they're all well into 6 figures I imagine.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby BigMusky » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:07 am

I am not trying to be negative....but maybe provide some skepticism. I have seen too many people get degrees that were worthless because they did something they liked and had fun with. College is an expensive investment to enhance your career opprotunities, so treat it as such. Sports Managment might open some great doors for you, but I am guessing not. I would check out to see how many kids get jobs in THEIR FIELD OF STUDY with that degree.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:34 am

Phatferd wrote:
bceagles04 wrote: If you go to law school, can you specialize in Sports?

I know Marquette and Tulane offer Sports Law or at least gear some programs towards Sports Law...My friend is going to ASU for law and wants to be an agent. He applied to 50 schools and knows what each school offers and specializes in. He told me those are the only 2 that specialize in it, but you can still become an agent without specializing in Sports Law in school.

More schools will start to offer it, since it is pretty popular at those two schools and gaining popularity in general.

What the hell is sports law? Lawyers who become agents just use contract law and maybe some administrative law. They are not really lawyers since they don't deal with any laws.

Agents know contract law. Players hire specialized accountants to deal with their taxes and litigators to represent them in hearings. The agent just negotiates team and sponsorship contracts.

Agents have to know the basics of contract law and have to be personable in a used car salesman way.

Once you've got the basics you get an entry level position at one of these places making minimum wage and work your way up:

http://www.imgworld.com

I think that courses specializing in "Sports" may be a waste of time and if you are in law school one course could not hurt but spending too much time on it could. You should have a general background in law so that you can go into any field that interests you.

From what I know of being an agent, the actual work is pretty high stress and not very interesting. But if you are a lawyer with a good job in another field you can have a lot more fun and buy season tickets to whatever team you want (except for the Maple Leafs who have a ten year waiting list for season tix :-/ ).
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Laurence » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:55 am

Spiegs1106 wrote:bump :-o

im new here

what does bump mean?
Laurence
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:03 am

bigh0rt wrote:
I have 3 friends all in college to get their degree in sports management, and that's exactly what they're going for; to become athletic directors. And no, none of them are looking to become high school athletic directors. :-b The job of athletic director for a large facility or college, though, wouldn't be a half bad job I don't think.

it depends on the situation. at my school the first athletic director seemed to have fun with the job i.e. golfing, going to banquets, watching games and passed on most of the work to the assistant AD. he lost his job though. well more like he accepted a job at a different university as opposed to being run out of town. the next athletic director works hard but if its the kind of work you like then i guess you can have fun with it. its not exactly a 9-5 job though. there are always committees, meetings, paper work, schmoozing alumni etc. and while there is more to it, your job is often on the line if you dont hire the right coach.

i dont know exact numbers for the pay but the ADs i have known seem to be doing alright for themselves.

from what i know, if athletic director is the job you want you need to start working in the athletic department as soon as you get on campus. work in sports info, ticket sales, facilities op, whatever. work your way up and gain contacts at other schools. often you will have to move around to other schools for promotions.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby emb0lus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:04 am

i wouldn't go to law school just to be a sports agent. How many full fledged lawyers are agents? Also, if you are smart enough to get into law school, then I would imagine you are also smart enough to not pigeon-hole your career by just focusing on being an agent. There is a lot of "who you know" involved in becoming an agent and it would take some time for you to work your way up into the big money anyway. I can see being a trial lawyer and in your spare time working as an agent until you got enough of a client base to quit working as an actual lawyer. There are a whole lot more people looking to sue someone than professional athletes looking for an agent.

However, you can apparently become an agent over the internet. I googled "how to become a sports agent" and this is the first thing it came up with:
http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com

here is an excerpt from the link on course description:
"The Athlete Management 400 course provides the academic foundation for individuals interested in pursuing a career as a sports agent. It is the only academically accredited sports agent course in the world..."

It also has links on the main page to other professions in sports.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:25 am

Laurence wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:bump :-o

im new here

what does bump mean?

if no one answers a thread for a while it gets pushed down the list so many times it will go unnoticed and die. A bump is basically a way of refreshing the thread. Most times it is the author looking to get a response or more responses.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby bceagles04 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:40 am

hmm...thanks for the responses guys, I had thought that since I loved sports so much, that this would be great for me but from what you said I realize there arent many career opps. I def. want to do buisness, probably finance, but I will probably end up not in a sports job, just loving sports as an adult
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk