Al Leiter -- DFA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Al Leiter -- DFA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:How is this possible? The Yanks sent no talent? Is that legal?

ESPN wrote:The Yankees will be responsible for about $400,000 of the $2.8 million remaining on Leiter's 2005 salary, general manager Brian Cashman said Saturday. There were no other players involved in the deal.

The Yanks aren't really even picking up the tab. Are there different rules for DFAs? Isn't some exchange of talent needed?

Anyone know the rules?

from http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/1999/0908/46397.html

Player To Be Named Later
Quite often, you'll read that a player has been traded to another team for "a player to be named later."

There are two restrictions at work here. First, the transaction must be completed within six months. And second, the player named later can't have played in the same league as the team he's being traded to. That's why the player named later is almost always a minor leaguer.

And what if the teams can't agree on who that player will be? This happens rarely, but if no names are agreed upon initially, the clubs will agree on a price to paid in lieu of a player.

Sometimes, at the time of the deal the team receiving the player will provide the other club a list of minor leaguers, and later the club will have their pick of the players on that list. This list is negotiated at the time of the trade. In recent years, the Minnesota Twins lost Enrique Wilson this way. When it came time for Cleveland to make their choice, the Twins did what they could to "hide" Wilson, but the Indians found him anyway.

Finally, sometimes "Player to be named later" is used to trade players on the Disabled List, since it can be embarrassing for a club to trade for a guy who's on the DL.

Man... I know what a player to be named later is. Geez.

But there is no mention of a PTBNL in the story. And rotoworld says the Yanks "bought" Leiter.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:11 pm

Lofunzo wrote:If I was Trans, I would just be happy that Leiter was on the Yankees and is gonna pitch against his team.

OH, I am, don't worry. ;)

And, Lo, it's "If I were Trans..." :-D (Call it a downpayment for RM.)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:09 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:How is this possible? The Yanks sent no talent? Is that legal?

ESPN wrote:The Yankees will be responsible for about $400,000 of the $2.8 million remaining on Leiter's 2005 salary, general manager Brian Cashman said Saturday. There were no other players involved in the deal.

The Yanks aren't really even picking up the tab. Are there different rules for DFAs? Isn't some exchange of talent needed?

Anyone know the rules?

Trans I don't think there is any rule against a player being traded straight up for cash or sold outright. The commissioner can veto the trade if he feels it is not in the best interest of the league but Leiter was on waivers anyway.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:02 am

Well, the mlb.com story says there was a PTBNL, so maybe ESPN was just wrong.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mamorris » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:10 am

Anyone know the rules?

I don't actually know if there's a rule or not, but think about it: if the league made teams exchange players, the Yankees would just throw in some 27-year-old organisational solider in Double A with no hope of making the majors. What would be the point of that? The only change is one minor leaguer is inconvenienced because he has to move house etc., but nobody benefits from having a rule like that in place. The commissioner's approval is required for any trades where more than $1 million exchanges hands (or maybe slightly more, I can't remember exactly), so there's no real danger of "buying" players who will have any significant impact.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:54 am

Anybody can be bought or sold. I believe there's a ceiling of $1 million on these straight sales.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 am

thehat wrote:Anybody can be bought or sold. I believe there's a ceiling of $1 million on these straight sales.

Well, this would be above that ceiling, with the Marlins paying all but 400k of his contract. Anyway, there's a PTBNL.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
thehat wrote:Anybody can be bought or sold. I believe there's a ceiling of $1 million on these straight sales.

Well, this would be above that ceiling, with the Marlins paying all but 400k of his contract. Anyway, there's a PTBNL.

Newspaper today said there is no PTBNL.

"Officially its a player to be named later or cash considerations. But there is no player to be named later." The Yankees will send $1 to the Marlins.

The Marlins will pay $2.4 million of the $2.8 million left on the contract.

In all cases when there is over $1 million changing hands it must be approved by the commissioner and this deal was.

-In other words, the Yankees are nearly being paid to take him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Looks like he's still got something left in the tank.

6.1 IP 3 H 1 ER 3 BB 8 K's in 102 pitches against Boston.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby socceryank » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:57 pm

A move to NY might be the spark he needed to get on track. Let's face it, pitching in FL is not the same as pitching for the Yanks. Leiter is the type of guy that can thrive on the pressure in NY.

Now before all you guys jump on me for being somewhat optimistic after just one outing, I do believe he will come back to earth over the next few starts, but I don't think you can totally write him off yet.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers