Al Leiter -- DFA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Al Leiter -- DFA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:24 pm

His k/bb is obviously horrendous overall this year but how does he pitch so bad at Pro Player but on the road...
HOME 9.98era .376baa 39IP
AWAY 3.35era .191baa 40IP

______AB H HR RBI BB HBP SO BAA OBP SLG OPS IP __ERA
Home: 165 62 8 _41_ 30 __4 _29 .376 .478 .582 1.059 39.2 _9.98
Road:_136 26 1 _13_ 30 __2 _23 .191 .343 .279 .623 _40.1 _3.35

As you can see, on the road, he's performing more to his carrer averages than an home. The reason why, I don't know. Dolphin Stadium is a "pitchers" park, so either it was playing infront of a lukewarm fanbase, or maybe it was the extreme heat and humidity effecting him at home, and if you look at his BAA by month it supports this theory:

April: .250
May: .295
June: .299
July: .379

As the temp. got warmer, he did worse. And maybe being up north in NY where's he's accustomed to pitching, he'll be better.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Leiter is done...stick a fork in him. He is however at least a marginal MLB pitcher still which is better than the AA clowns they ran out there yesterday. Be greatful Clueless Cashman only had to give up 400K for him. He is so clueless I am surprised a top prospect was not sent along.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:29 pm

I don't see Leiter as a decent SP option for anything more than a few starts. He is pretty much done. I would definitely rather have Uribe than him.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:30 pm

Since the Yankees got Leiter back, they basically got Barfield for nothing. ;-7 ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:24 pm

How is this possible? The Yanks sent no talent? Is that legal?

ESPN wrote:The Yankees will be responsible for about $400,000 of the $2.8 million remaining on Leiter's 2005 salary, general manager Brian Cashman said Saturday. There were no other players involved in the deal.

The Yanks aren't really even picking up the tab. Are there different rules for DFAs? Isn't some exchange of talent needed?

Anyone know the rules?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:47 pm

I was hoping Womack would be a part of the deal. The more I hear about the deal the better it sounds. We got a SP with a track record for pennies. yes he sucks this season (at home i may add) i know.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:39 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:How is this possible? The Yanks sent no talent? Is that legal?

ESPN wrote:The Yankees will be responsible for about $400,000 of the $2.8 million remaining on Leiter's 2005 salary, general manager Brian Cashman said Saturday. There were no other players involved in the deal.

The Yanks aren't really even picking up the tab. Are there different rules for DFAs? Isn't some exchange of talent needed?

Anyone know the rules?

from http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/1999/0908/46397.html

Player To Be Named Later
Quite often, you'll read that a player has been traded to another team for "a player to be named later."

There are two restrictions at work here. First, the transaction must be completed within six months. And second, the player named later can't have played in the same league as the team he's being traded to. That's why the player named later is almost always a minor leaguer.

And what if the teams can't agree on who that player will be? This happens rarely, but if no names are agreed upon initially, the clubs will agree on a price to paid in lieu of a player.

Sometimes, at the time of the deal the team receiving the player will provide the other club a list of minor leaguers, and later the club will have their pick of the players on that list. This list is negotiated at the time of the trade. In recent years, the Minnesota Twins lost Enrique Wilson this way. When it came time for Cleveland to make their choice, the Twins did what they could to "hide" Wilson, but the Indians found him anyway.

Finally, sometimes "Player to be named later" is used to trade players on the Disabled List, since it can be embarrassing for a club to trade for a guy who's on the DL.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 pm

If I was Trans, I would just be happy that Leiter was on the Yankees and is gonna pitch against his team.
Lofunzo

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:47 pm

Why not give Leiter a chance. It is a low risk move. They have lots to gain and nothing to lose (except maybe another game or two).
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:57 pm

For those of you in 50 team deep AL-only leagues,

Yankees designated Redding for assignment.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers