Al Leiter -- DFA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Al Leiter -- DFA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:32 pm

Well I think Al is crazy for wanting to go out this way. But on the other hand I think it's cool if he can retire in NY. Hopefully he can find some of that old magic.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:34 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Maybe he'll just retire and join the Mets broadcasting team.

You like him in the booth?? :-o

Well it's all relative. Keith Hernandez is really the only Mets announcer I like. I think Leiter would be a step up from what we currently have.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:37 pm

I expect Leiter to have about 4-4.50 ERA with the Yanks. Better than May or Reddings Mile High ERAs
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Maybe he'll just retire and join the Mets broadcasting team.

You like him in the booth?? :-o

Well it's all relative. Keith Hernandez is really the only Mets announcer I like. I think Leiter would be a step up from what we currently have.

Well, I would rather listen to Fran Drescher call a game than Tom Seaver. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:34 pm

Now that Leiter is officially a NYY and starting tommorow what is the outlook on him the rest of the season? Any chance he plays next season too? I am contemplating trading for him (givining up Uribe) in a deep dynasty league.

thanks
Bd
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 pm

Well no one knows for sure but everything Leiter has said points to him retiring after this season. He's headed for either politics or broadcasting. :*)

I think Leiter is done. I can understand why the Yankees want to take a flier on him but it just not there anymore. Unless he regains his control in NY it's going to be a nightmare.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Matthias » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:51 pm

bd3521 wrote:Now that Leiter is officially a NYY and starting tommorow what is the outlook on him the rest of the season? Any chance he plays next season too? I am contemplating trading for him (givining up Uribe) in a deep dynasty league.

thanks
Bd

well... if your fantasy league is a fantasy broadcasting league, i like him as a keeper pickup. if your fantasy league is a fantasy baseball league, however... stay away. away. far, far away.

the man is posting a 6.64 era in the nl east with more bb's than k's; you think he's going to improve that once he switches into the al east? not bloody likely. if you were playing in a 1x1 where your sole pitching stat was wins, he *might* be a consideration. otherwise.... what are you thinking, man???
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:57 pm

I'm in a 24 team 40 man roster dynasty league. Currently stuck in second place overall all season. Starting pitchers are in a PRIME in this league. We start 5 each week and most teams are lucky just to have 5 healthy eligible at SP! If Leiter can pickup a few wins, and two start weeks, he could easily propel me to the championship. Uribe is expendable when I have Young, Cano, Izturis, and Blake at MI and 3b (also Marte waiting in the wings).

So please understand that each league is different. I was ranked 12thOVR of 3million fantasy players on Sportsline last season, so I know a little here and there ;-)
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:06 pm

bd3521 wrote:I'm in a 24 team 40 man roster dynasty league.

all right, but if you don't specify in a post that you have 960 of the mlb players locked up, most people will assume there's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of that, making leiter nearly useless.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:07 pm

Well in that case it's hard to tell. I've never played in a league that deep. You're going to have to look at the fringe starters in your league and compare that to what Leiter has been able to do so far this year. Factor in that the AL East is going to hurt him statistically. If you have room on your roster and the league is that deep it might be worth a flier on the off-chance he regains his control. But if you weren't considering grabbing him while he played with the Marlins in a pitcher-friendly park and division, I don't see why the Yankees offense would change things that much. The Yankees have shown that the offense isn't so good that they can overcome horrible pitching.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers