Sheff has A-Rod's back... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Sheff has A-Rod's back...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheff has A-Rod's back...

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:03 pm

NY Post wrote:July 12, 2005 -- DETROIT - The Yankees and Red Sox are teammates for one day in tonight's All-Star Game at Comerica Park. Come Thursday in Boston that will all change.

The Yankees will not stand for any more attacks on Alex Rodriguez from the Red Sox like last July when Jason Varitek shoved his glove in the superstar's face, the Shove seen 'round the world.

The days of the Red Sox challenging Rodriguez physically or verbally, like they did throughout spring training when they repeatedly chirped that Rodriguez was not a "true Yankee" are done.

The Yankees finally have A-Rod's back at Fenway and everywhere else.

"We're going to bring our gold, our jewel in there, which is A-Rod," Gary Sheffield told me yesterday during the American League All-Star interview session.

"We're going to see how the chips fall this time. That's our man and we know he's our man.

"We're going to look out for him when he's in a situation like that."

I asked Sheffield exactly what he meant by that statement.

"When he's in a hostile environment, we've got to make sure he's comfortable because it helps our team," Sheffield answered.

And if something like the Varitek incident happens again?

"That's why I say it's going to be different," Sheffield said, looking me straight in the eye.

"We're going to make sure that Alex is taken care of."

If all that sounds like fighting words, so be it. The Yankees have come together as a team this crazy first half of a season in many ways.

After last October's spectacular choke job to Boston, there is payback coming the Red Sox's way as far as the Yankees are concerned and it starts Thursday with the Yankees protecting their superstar - Rodriguez - any way they have to at Fenway.

If you are a Yankee fan, these are the words you've been waiting to hear since Rodriguez joined the club. Rodriguez is appreciative of the backup.

"We've been through a lot together, a lot of guys don't know half the stuff we've been through as a team," he said, offering a rare view inside the Yankees' closed world.

"To be in the situation we are right now, we are very fortunate," Rodriguez added. "Our worst times are behind us."

The Yankees trail the first-place Red Sox by only two games in the loss column. A-Rod was quick to credit teammates, especially Jason Giambi, in helping to lift the fortunes of the club.

The Yankees have been humbled by the bad times they've been through and also say they have grown as a team from those difficult days.

Noted Rodriguez, "Everybody on this team has been attacked from every angle. I think we've become a closer team. Now we are united. We talk amongst each other much better than last year. I think this is as tight this team has been - one through 25 - since I've been here."

Even the Red Sox have noticed a change. "Alex is one of the top three players in the game," Johnny Damon said.

"He's finding his niche in New York now."

A-Rod admitted it has taken time for him to get to know his teammates and for his teammates to get to know him.

"It's something that you can't accelerate what you try to do," he explained.

"The trials and tribulations this team has gone through has helped us come together."

Tonight A-Rod will be batting second, right behind Damon, in front of Red Sox sluggers David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez.

He is surrounded by Red Sox.

Asked what he thought about such a lineup, A-Rod paused for a few seconds before saying, "It's kind of ironic that a Red Sox is protecting me. It's kind of weird."

The truth is that for the first time in his Pinstriped career, Alex Rodriguez can go into the lion's den that is Fenway Park and know in his heart that he is being protected by his Yankee teammates.

As Sheffield promised, "It's going to be different."

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, so I just threw it up to add to tonight's game. :-)

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/49772.htm
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Gotta love it Yanks-Sawx!!! :-)

Somebody BETTER knock Ortiz's fat @$$ off the plate tonight. Jeter's been getting hit 400 times in the last 3 years by the Red Sox, and they proceed to let Papi smack the ball all over the freakin' place.

Somebody PLEASE knock him down. Send them a message. Remember the V-Tek vs. A-Rod brawl that sparked Boston last year? I'm not saying start a brawl, just let them know we aren't laying down.

That said, I can't wait for tonight. ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:05 pm

Haha, hell yes....that's some inspiring ish right there. }:-)

I've said it before: I can imagine few things in this world more fun than the Yankees/Sox rivalry. If you're on the inside, it's the best thing in sports, anywhere.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:58 pm

This is what I like about Gary Sheffield.

Bash him all you want, but the guy's tougher than anyone in baseball.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dimaggio5 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:24 pm

blankman wrote:This is what I like about Gary Sheffield.

I agree. The Yanks really haven't had a tough guy since Strawberry. The sight of him chasing Benetez into the Orioles dugout, after he drilled Tino, still stands out in my mind. I think he might've 'haymakered' an Oriole too. I'd luv to see Shef clock Millar and Schilling. Vtek too :-D

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:57 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:
blankman wrote:This is what I like about Gary Sheffield.

I agree. The Yanks really haven't had a tough guy since Strawberry. The sight of him chasing Benetez into the Orioles dugout, after he drilled Tino, still stands out in my mind. I think he might've 'haymakered' an Oriole too. I'd luv to see Shef clock Millar and Schilling. Vtek too :-D

He did, I'd thought it was Benitez. But he definitely clocked somebody on-camera that time.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dimaggio5 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Now that you'd mentioned it, I think he did swing at Benitez. But, I think he missed. Fortunately for Amando Daryl didn't connect. It would've been a KO. But I think Daryl might've taken on the Orioles bullpen too. I seem to remember him taking on 2 guys from the pen and then Grame Lloyd blindsided one of them. Now that was a fight.

Hey, Shef had a great game tonight. Nice to see him back up his words with deeds. Yanks showed resilency tonight and it warmed this Yankee fans heart. :-D

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rocky123 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:58 pm

It seems like Alex and Sheff are close, maybe because they are kind of outsiders in that Sheff is a little gruff and people say that Alex is fake. I noticed that after tonight's game when the Yankees formed their line to give high fives everyone tapped their fists but Sheff and A-Rod hugged.
Finally The Rock has come back....to New York City!!
rocky123
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:15 am

Ortiz another homerun as well as a RBI single and nobody does as much as to brush him off the plate.

I hope somebody knocks him back this weekend.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby rocky123 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:45 pm

Looks like ARod's got Sheff's back too. Hit a bomb after Sheff got buzzed by Clement and they both seemed extra siked when ARod crossed the plate.
Finally The Rock has come back....to New York City!!
rocky123
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to New York Yankees