Quitting Smoking - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Quitting Smoking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:25 pm

good luck..i have never smoked but my golfing buddy quit after 2 cancer scares and said it was the hardest thing he had ever done and still misses a smoke after 6 years of being smoke free..invest the $ you save in mutual funds .. you will need the xtra $ for the xtra years you are adding to your life..hang in there and just do it !!
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:36 pm

Here is some advice....dont hang out with people that smoke for a while because they will drag you back in...ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DRINK. Second...you will at least once buy a pack of smokes for some occassion or weak moment...throw the whole thing away before you go to bed. It does not matter how many are left because if you have access to smokes you will dig them out. If you smoke Reds or something, I would try switching to lights before going cold turkey. If you do switch, you have to try and smoke the same ammount per day or you are not doing anything.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:57 pm

Pacman wrote:I quit many years ago, and when I did, I started running at the same time. So the gains I was making with running started quickly to outweigh the pains of withdrawl. I knew if I had a cigarette it would be harder to keep up my progress running. That worked for me.

Good luck - quitting smoking is the single best thing you can ever do for your health.

That's what a friend of mine did....it worked ;-D

Good Luck Wharf.,...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:08 pm

I quit about 7 years ago and then start social smoking a few years later. About 2 years ago when I started my own buisness I started up again :-[ . I don't like it but when you're the boss and the stress builds, damn it feels good to go out for a smoke. I can tell you that if it wasn't for the Cafe I would smoke a lot more than I do :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I quit about 7 years ago and then start social smoking a few years later. About 2 years ago when I started my own buisness I started up again :-[ . I don't like it but when you're the boss and the stress builds, damn it feels good to go out for a smoke. I can tell you that if it wasn't for the Cafe I would smoke a lot more than I do :-b

Actually, places like the Cafe allowed me to smoke more. Nothing like sitting at the PC with a smoke burning and an ashtray full of butts. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:16 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I quit about 7 years ago and then start social smoking a few years later. About 2 years ago when I started my own buisness I started up again :-[ . I don't like it but when you're the boss and the stress builds, damn it feels good to go out for a smoke. I can tell you that if it wasn't for the Cafe I would smoke a lot more than I do :-b

Actually, places like the Cafe allowed me to smoke more. Nothing like sitting at the PC with a smoke burning and an ashtray full of butts. :-P

No smoking in the house or office. Last summer I actually sat in the backyard with my laptop so that I could surf and smoke but I stopped when my three year old called me a loser. :,-(
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:20 pm

Never start, and if you don't want your kids to smoke.

Give him/her? a cigarett well before they know how to smoke.

My dad gave me a Carmel or a Marlboro when I was 6 or 7 and I never smoked(or have the desire to) again.

Just don't smoke.

My Great-Grandpa died with Lung cancer, so was my Grandpa.

They are both heavy smokers.

Now go pray for my father.(please help out guys)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. With the "new-look" Yankee rotation, this has the makings of a miserable, miserable weekend. :-/
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:16 pm

WharfRat wrote:Thanks for the kind words, fellas. With the "new-look" Yankee rotation, this has the makings of a miserable, miserable weekend. :-/

Nicorett gum, Nicorett gum....
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:37 pm

i've never smoked, but my dad did for a while before finally quitting. he got himself to stop, then had a party partly celebrating the fact that he'd been smoke free for a year (two? :-? ) and decided it would be ok to have a cigar to celebrate. ended up smoking for 11 more years :-° so when you quit, don't make the mistake of saying "one more can't hurt, just for old times sake" later on down the road. as for actually quitting, i'm afraid i can't help you there too much.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk